The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The
institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its
mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be
prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State,
the University is a
world-class career-oriented institution missioned
to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a
strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential
to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
This position is a local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal
residents of Nigeria. We are seeking for suitably qualified candidates
to fill the position below:
Job Title: Landscaping Supervisor
Department: Facilities Management
Summary of Position
- The Landscaping Supervisor shall ensure and maintain a cleaner and healthier university environment.
- The duties shall include but NOT limited to maintaining
equipment and general gardening operations, supervise gardeners,
groundkeepers and fumigators in performing everyday landscaping and pest
control functions of all parts of the University in line with
established policies and procedures.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Shall prepare budgets, orders of supplies and keep daily reports.
- Shall ensure adequate waste disposal takes place by keeping the environment clean.
- Shall plan seasonal flowering planting and maintenance schedules.
- Carry out instructions as per requirements of keeping AUN environment presentable at all times.
- Supervise Gardeners, Ground keepers & Fumigators in
performing everyday landscape and pest control functions of all parts of
- Supervises the gardeners to ensure that they;
- Plant flowers and trees at approved areas of the university which would help improve ambience and neatness of the university.
- Water, fertilize, transplant, and prune flowers and plants around the University premises.
- Use fumigation by chemical and bio interventions to control insects, disease, and weeds.
- Put down mulch, such as wood chips or peat moss, to control weeds and maintain soil moisture.
- Maintain and repair their tools and equipment.
- Oversee Fumigation Exercise across all properties of AUN
- Oversee the plants in AUN nursery
- Conduct vermiculture, composting and other initiatives which keep AUN ground fertile without use of chemical fertilizer.
- Take initiatives for the reduction of water usage in AUN for landscaping activities
- Maintain lawns and grounds by organizing trimming, fertilization, watering, and transplanting activities.
- Make Schedule of activities and duty rosters for the unit’s workforce as per the annual plan.
- Supervise the activities of the Gardeners, Ground keepers &
Fumigators by assigning work to them in the various parts of the
university that need routine maintenance and oversee execution of the
- Shall inspect the job of the gardeners to ensure that;
- Flowers are kept in good condition
- Grass, Weeds, Shrubs, Bushes and Hedges do not exceed the required level
- Trees and flowers beds are hygienic and sanitized regularly
- Ensure that gardeners are familiar with the required care standards and regulations governing the job.
- Use the appropriate tools like hoes, rakes, spades and even
power tools to ensure that the University remains neat and tidy not
- Oversee maintenance of watering systems as available.
- Shall perform any other duty as assigned or delegated by the Unit Head
Requirements for the Position
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or Horticulture with three
(3) years’ experience or a National Diploma with Six(6) years’
experience from a reputable institution.
- Functional English oral and written communication skills.
- Functional Hausa communication skills
- Should be able to assimilate techniques and concepts of
sustainable landscaping, water conservation, soil protection,
rehabilitation and irrigation etc
Other Requirements, abilities for the position:
- Should have IT skills in Microsoft office with inclination in
Excel to utilize computer technology to prepare reports, access data and
- Effective English writing, verbal, presentation and listening communications skills
- Effective negotiation and mediation skills
- Ability to plan and coordinate multiple diverse tasks simultaneously.
- Attention to detail
- Be respectful, demonstrate sound work ethics
- Decision making skills
Description of Benefits
- Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Resumes, cover letters and references to: email@example.com The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 3rd February, 2017.