The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a
not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to
meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty,
and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across
sub-Saharan Africa, we
improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition
security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity.
IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for
a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow in Pathology/Aflasafe Unit
Ref No: DDG-R4D/PDF/P/A/04/17
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
The tasks will include:
- Assist in providing stewardship and technical backstopping for various Aflasafe projects in West Africa.
- Support project managers for coordination of sample collection, testing, and analysis.
- Prepare quarterly and annual technical reports.
- Organize training events for users of Aflasafe.
- Coordinate the monitoring of training events.
- Provide technical support to specialists developing aflasafe-related businesses.
- Conduct field and laboratory activities to continue to
demonstrate the efficacy of biocontrol on a product marketing setting.
Prepare grant proposals.
- Together with country coordinators, lead sensitization efforts
on biocontrol and other aflatoxin management efforts in all project
- Together with country coordinators, lead out-scaling of biocontrol and country wide mapping of Aspergillus flavus.
- Together with country coordinators, publish research outcomes from in-country research activities.
- Assist the country coordinators in developing project activities and a budget commensurate with the activities.
- Together with project members, closely monitor growth stages of
field experiments to ensure that critical stages of treating maize and
peanuts and sampling are done in a timely and optimal manner.
- Together with the country coordinators ensure project activities meet required regulatory guidelines.
- Help in designing experiments aimed at helping the various aflasafe projects to meet its milestones.
- Assist country coordinators in designing research questions to address research objectives.
- Together with country coordinators, plan meetings and activities
within project countries to enable commencement of the project
activities, particularly in sample collection/strain identification
- Train staff from national partnering institutions who will be
attached to the laboratory on microbiological and chemistry techniques
applied in bio control as well as assist students who will be attached
to the laboratory.
- Maintain and update sampling protocols and laboratory procedures.
- Together with the country coordinators, compile and analyze data from various efficacy and safety studies.
- The candidate should have earned a PhD in Plant Pathology or closely related area, during the last 2 years.
- Experience in mycotoxin research is desirable.
- Experience in use of molecular biology and statistical tools to study pathogen diversity and ecology
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated
ability to interact effectively with multidisciplinary teams, national
agriculture Research Systems, farmers, special interest groups,
government officials, and consumers
- Demonstrated experience in seeking grants and management of large-scale projects
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish journal articles
- Ability to work independently in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- The contract will be for an initial period of two years.
- IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online
application attaching detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names
in Microsoft word format, the application must include the names and
e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the
applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional
colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 4th May, 2017