The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant (MM/ Expert Review of National Migration Policy Action Plan)
CFCV No.: CFCV2018/31
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 25 effective working days
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- IOM in Nigeria is currently implementing the European Union (EU) and IOM Initiative for Migrants Protection and Reintegration in Nigeria titled “Strengthening the Governance of Migration and Sustainable Reintegration of Nigerian Returnees”.
- The project, which is part of the regional initiative being implemented in 14 countries in West Africa including Mauritania, is aimed at strengthening the governance of migration and enhanced sustainability of reintegration for returning migrants.
- Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MM/AVRR) Lagos, under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer (MM) and in close coordination with Data & Policy unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the review of the Action Plan of the National Migration Policy and the implementation of its action plan.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Conduct a desk review of relevant studies and literature on migration policy development and implementation
- Facilitate a final validation meeting, which also comprises of the members of the TWG and other major stakeholders to validate the reviewed migration policy action plan including its implementation plan.
- Tangible and Measurable Output of the work Assignment:
- Relevant desks, studies and literature on migration policy development and action plan reviewed
- Inception report of the expert review produced
- At least one planning/review meeting with the relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to gather information facilitated.
- At least one validation meeting on National Migration Policy review facilitated
- Reviewed and validated National Migration Policy Action Plan and its implementation plan produced
- Provide technical expertise by reviewing the Action Plan of the National Migration Policy including its implementation Plan while incorporating emerging and current migration realities with reference to Nigeria and standardizing the migration policy action plan to adapt different migration contexts.
- Provide technical guidance to ensure that the Valetta Action Plan is incorporated into the reviewed National Migration Policy Action plan
- Provide technical lead in information and data gathering from relevant MDAs for use in the review of the National Migration Policy Action Plan
- Facilitate pre-validation meeting comprising of the members of the TWG and other key stakeholders in migration management in Nigeria to gather comments and ideas from different migration actors, which would feed into the review of the migration policy action plan.
The assessment will be undertaken according to the following methodology:
- A desk review of relevant studies and literature on migration policy development and implementation would be done. Special reference would be drawn from the National Migration Policy for Nigeria.
Planning and Review Meeting:
- Planning and review meeting comprising of the members of the TWG and other key stakeholders in migration management in Nigeria would be convened to gather comments and ideas from different migration actors, which would be useful in the review of the migration policy action plan
- A final validation meeting, which also comprises of the members of the TWG and other major stakeholders would be convened to validate the reviewed migration policy action plan. The validation process would include a signed document by each member of the TWG and stakeholder indicating their endorsement of the final copy of the migration policy action plan.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced University Degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Social Sciences, Policy Development, Public Administration and Sociology; a specialization in migration would be an advantage.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other international/national institutions and bodies
- Previous working experience in the West African region or Nigeria desirable.
- Proven ability to write concise reports in English and facilitation skills highly desirable
- Excellent Microsoft Word skills and ability to take notes/drafts and produce high-quality written reports.
- Motivated, committed, responsible, and able to work independently with limited direct supervision;
- Other desirable qualifications
- 5 years of relevant experience (Seven years for candidates holding a first level university degree) preferably on Migration Management and or Policy development.
- Demonstrated expertise in migration related project/proposal conceptualization and policy development;
- Proven ability to meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of migration governance in Nigeria and understanding of national, regional and global migration issues;
- Demonstrated experience in the coordination of complex programmes implying multiple partners and stakeholders;
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks under time constraint
- Proven track record of delivering on time and within the budget
- Ability to work in English and French Languages
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of statistical methods and migration data sources at the regional and international level required
- Confident use of statistical analysis software and social research methods
- Personal commitment, efficiency and drive for results
- Ability to draft text clearly and concisely
- Contract will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications with a Cover Letter, not more than one page specifying the motivation for Application, addressed to the “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration IOM” via e-mail to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int and with a subject line “CFCV2018/31 Abuja. Consultant (MM/ Expert Review of National Migration Policy Action Plan)”.
- All applications should include a functional e-mail address, mobile numbers and detailed Curriculum Vitae(CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.