UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Education Consultant
Job Number: 515070
Work Type: Consultancy
Purpose of the Consultancy
- The consultancy will assist the Education section in mainly revisiting existing P1-4 primary teacher capacity building approach/session notes for numeracy and literacy, strengthening the approach and related materials and developing capacities of state-level master trainers from Bauchi, Niger, Sokoto and Kebbi. During the process of revisiting and revising the training session notes, the consultant will pay attention to the practicality, effectiveness and replicability, especially having the scale-up of the training programme by state governments into consideration.
- The consultant will be supervised by the Education Specialist (Quality) while working closely with government technical partners.
Major tasks for this specific consultancy will include
- Finalize the P1-4 numeracy/literacy session notes for terms 1-3 after field-testing.
- Conduct ToTs of state-level master trainers.
- Review the P1-4 numeracy/literacy lesson plans as well as the past training workshop session notes.
- Conduct field-visits and have meetings with major stakeholders to understand the challenges/observations from the teachers, head teachers, TDTs/TFs and Output 2 lead consultants in Bauchi and Sokoto, draft a concept note on how the P1-4 numeracy/literacy training session notes for 3 terms should be modified.
- Following the direction of material revision as agreed in the concept note, conduct a small workshop with selected TDTs, and design the training session notes that enable: 1) teachers to clearly understand the contents of the lesson plans with related subject contents/pedagogy, 2) teachers to clearly understand the need to incorporate formative assessment of students learning within each lesson, and 3) training workshops to provide enough demonstration and practice teaching opportunities.Â Prepare two sets of session notes: 1) for the P1-4 numeracy training and 2) P1-4 numeracy and literacy training.
- Draft Concept Note
- Revised session notes (draft) and Workshop report
- Field-testing report and Final Session Notes
- ToT report
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- Advanced Degree in Education, Social Sciences and/or related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in conducting trainings, preferably in the context of teacher trainings in literacy and numeracy (particularly numeracy).
- Familiarity with the Nigerian state education system structure, including the LGEAs and school level management.
- Not less than 7 years progressive professional experience in the area of education system strengthening, especially in terms of capacity building of state, LGEAs and school level education personnel.
- Fluency in English language is essential. Strong understanding of the education context as well as experiences in trainings in North Nigeria is highly desirable.
- The consultancy duration is 47 working days
- Applicants should quote an all inclusive fee
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 15th August, 2018.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.