Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Coordinator – Support
Location: Cross River
Contract Period: Indefinite – expected 12months
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Representing MSF externally together with the Project Coordinator (PC) or alone (when delegated) and negotiating on behalf of the project coordination in close cooperation with the PC and based on beforehand agreed messaging. Assisting in safeguarding and promoting MSF’s image externally.
- Monitoring, analysing and reporting on key issues (security, risk, etc.) to the Project Coordinator and providing contextual information, through a sound knowledge of counterparts, parties, actors, authorities and military groups, in different administrations/parties and governorates/districts in order to improve understanding and decision making processes. Maintaining the security database and providing a biweekly context analysis based on recent incidents and developments.
- Conducting thorough context analysis of both Cross River State and southwestern Cameroon to inform MSF activities in Cross River State.
- Translating and reviewing documents and acting as an interpreter when needed. Assisting the Project Coordinator in the drafting of correspondences with authorities and counterparts (government officials, military actors, community leaders, UN agencies, NGOs, etc.) in order to ensure fluent and accurate communication flows.
- Preparing and conducting context, cultural and security briefings on the project context to new employees (national and international) in order to facilitate their integration and within the project environment. Ensuring regular security briefings/trainings of assessment team, drivers, and guards in consultation with the Project Coordinator.
- Being contactable by phone and available to assist the Project Coordinator with important context, security and operational issues that may occur outside of regular working hours unless otherwise agreed with the PC (e.g., holidays).
- Assisting in exploratory missions and assessments as needed and participating in the development of security plans.
- Assisting the Project Coordinator in Internal and External Communication sessions and events about MSF (for National staff, the Ministry of Health staff, as well as local authorities, community leaders, military actors, security forces) in order to improve awareness, understanding of MSF principles and services and public opinion adhesion. Write meeting minutes and contribute to the meeting logbook.
- Ensuring the continuity of relations/networking with local actors (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, media, etc.), filing and updating field contacts and correspondence in order to ensure information sources accuracy and its availability on regular basis. Organizing advocacy contacts and appointments for the Project Coordinator.
- Working closely with, and learning from, the Humanitarian Affairs Officer, and applying learned skills, both in collaboration with the Project Coordinator and independently, in future work with MSF in Cross River State.
- Performing assigned additional responsibilities or tasks as required by the Project Coordinator.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- University Diploma Level, preferably in the field of Social Sciences (Political Sciences, International Public Law, Anthropology, Economics, etc.)
- Essential: Experience in and exposure to working in a complicated political, security and humanitarian environment
- Essential: Experience in data collection, reporting and analysis
- Desirable: Two years previous experience in similar jobs in the field of humanitarian aid with MSF or other NGOs
- Desirable: Management experience
- Mission (English – high-level command of oral and written) and local language(s) (i.e. Pidgin) are essential
- Computer literacy (word, excel, Internet/social media)
- In-depth contextual knowledge and analysis skills
- High-level of knowledge of local culture and customs.
- Excellent understanding of MSF’s principles and values
- Knowledge of and interest in humanitarian issues
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant degrees, certificates and NYSC certificate/exemption Letters; to: msfocb-crossriver-finhrmanager @brussels.msf.org
Hard Copy should be sent to:
MSF Belgium Human Resources – Ikom,
Cross River State,
PP Barnmore Hotel,
Behind CRBC Radio Tower,
Ikom – Cross River State.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline 12th October, 2018.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!