WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Programme Lead
Department: Programmes Directorate
Reports to: Head of Programmes Delivery
Contract Type: Two (2) year fixed term (renewable subject to availability of funding)
Direct Reports: State Finance & Admin Officer, Programme Monitoring Evaluation & Reporting Officer, WASH Specialist, Policy & Sector Strengthening Specialist, Logistics/Driver
Travel: At least 60% time travel to support partners
- The Programme Directorate will be expected to play a central role in designing and overseeing delivery of quality programmes that enhance WANG’s leadership role within the WASH /development sector in Nigeria and more specifically, achieve clear and measurable contributions towards improved WASH and broader poverty reduction/development indices in Nigeria.
- The WaterAid Nigeria’s Programme Directorate is responsible for engaging with multiple stakeholders in the programmatic value chain to ensure delivery of quality programmes in line with the CP strategy and quality programme standards. With the state as the focus of our work to maximize impact, the position of the State Programme Lead is expected to take significant responsibility for influencing and galvanizing state level actors ( policy makers, civil society, private sector and citizens ) towards playing their roles to achieve increased access to WASH services in the state.
- The Enugu State programme currently has as its major thematic focus, the application of market led approaches to sanitation with a view to significantly address the sanitation issues in Enugu State and ramp up access. WaterAid also desires that Enugu State replicates the recent Presidential declaration of a state of emergency in WASH.
- This position is to successfully coordinate the implementation of WaterAid’s country strategic initiatives in the state by ensuring that all country thematic activities are properly included in realistic and achievable annual State Programme Plans and delivered through appropriate projects.
- This role will be accountable for the successful delivery of the on-going Sanitation Marketing Expansion and Scaleup project in the State, conceptualizing future programmes/projects and building strong collaborations with fundraising colleagues to design proposals to scale up WaterAid work in Enugu; planning the effective delivery of programmatic outcomes that align with programme delivery plans in line with WaterAid quality programme standards and approaches; building and nurturing effective collaborations and partnerships with stakeholders (including implementing partners) for the delivery of WaterAid programmes /projects and an improved WASH outcome in the designated WaterAid state programme.
- This role will lead the successful implementation to the programme objectives through supporting and strengthening the key partners such as the Enugu State Small Towns Unit (STU), RUWASSA, SUBEBS, Enugu Chambers of Commerce and the Small and Medium Enterprises Agency, Health sector coordinating entities and CSOs; Manage and maintain complex relationships with the state government, private sector and other funding agencies.
Effective Programme Management:
- Ensure that appropriate programme management, quality assurance and monitoring mechanisms are in place to ensure high quality delivery of work by partners, across all critical programme objectives
- Work collaboratively with and draw on the wider support and expertise from within WaterAid to develop and improve the initiatives required for the successful delivery of the programme
- Promote and ensure the mainstreaming of WaterAid programme principles and quality standards in all WaterAid’s programme in the State
- Exercise accountability for management of financial budget and resources at state office; ensure timely and accurate budgets and financial reports are generated and submitted to WaterAid Nigeria Country office to facilitate reimbursements of expenses incurred on overhead and programmatic activities.
- Lead the detailed analysis and collaborative programme planning to implement and manage projects in Enugu state in accordance with WaterAid’s objectives; monitor and evaluate progress of the programmes and its projects in line with WaterAid’s PMER standards and guidelines.
- Take leadership for all state level delivery and reporting to WaterAid and grant funders on programme activities in the state; Ensure information on ongoing programmes in the state are kept up to date on the Project centre platform.
- Lead the development and maintenance of key strategic relationships from state to local level across the key involved sectors; act as credible WaterAid representative in the State.
- Identify, develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with partners, state officials and sector stakeholders; act as a worthy and credible WaterAid representative in the State.
- Proactively engage in sector support initiatives and participate in sector coordination meetings at state level, particularly if directly linked to the programme objectives; use these relationships to positively project WaterAid positions on WASH issues and influence policy change in the state
Advocacy and Communication:
- Lead advocacy at the state, local government and community levels on improved WASH access and behaviour
- Lead on the implementation of WaterAid campaigns on WASH at the state level
- Create linkages and improve access to media at the state
Effective donor and grant management:
- Use knowledge of state context to initiate project concepts/ proposals that respond to WASH issues in the state; Work in active collaboration with fundraising team to market grant programmes/project funding opportunities for state programme/projects to potential funders.
- Develop case studies and success stories to demonstrate impact of WaterAid’s work, enhance the visibility of WANG programmes and use as fundraising materials
- Provide leadership in the identification, engagement and effective management of partner institutions/organization relevant to the delivery of the grant targets in the state.
- Coordinate assessment and delivery of targeted organizational development technical assistance to all WaterAid partners in the state (CSO’s, Government agencies, private sector entities and communities) to improve their performance.
Leadership & Team Management:
- Lead the development of activity based budgets for state program activities across thematic areas; Accountable for managing budgets aligning the budget with activities and for monitoring to ensure budget performance of multiple partners is according to plan; ensuring good quality financial reports of programmes & from partners in the state are submitted on time. Resolving any inaccuracies in a timely manner. Work collaboratively with Finance & Information Technology (FIT) to ensure timely disbursement of funds required by partners
- Directly supervise state programmes team to deliver high performance; Provide guidance and direction to a multi-functional team, including setting performance objectives and monitoring performance of the members of the state team.
- Coach & mentor team members to enable effective delivery of targets and prioritize achievement of the learning & development priorities of the team.
- Experience working with partners implementing a grant funded project and in managing partnerships with such organizations.
- Strong programme/project management skills, including the ability to ability to initiate, plan, manage and monitor programmes & projects; technical ability to develop programme plans/design log frames etc
- Experience of managing multiple project stakeholders including community level stakeholders; donors; government officials etc
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills; Experience of project documentation for use in influencing; writing case studies and success stories
- Familiarity with and experience using participatory tools, methods and approaches in project management
- Strong analytical skills
- Above average competence in the use of IT tools. Proficiency in the use of Microsoft suite of computer Applications-Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Experience of leading, managing and motivating others and driving change
- Master’s degree in the Social Sciences, Development Studies, International Development, Public Health or other relevant field.
- Substantial experience working in a similar role with responsibility for managing a state team preferably for an international NGO or development organization.
- Proven ability in successfully managing similar sized grant funded programmes/projects funded by international donors in a developing country context.
- Prior experience delivering WASH sector interventions and with providing sector strengthening technical assistance to partners.
- Proven ability to conduct in-depth context analysis and in using outcome of the analysis to influence key state stakeholders and create change, An understanding of advocacy tools and approaches.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to build and maintain good working relationships with a variety of colleagues and stakeholders.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
- Familiarity with market based approaches for delivering WASH services
- Proven ability to coordinate and provide technical guidance to CSO partners on how to effectively engage with private sector actors to provide WASH solutions
- Knowledge of adult learning approaches
- Knowledge of behaviour change models and approaches
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 14th December, 2018.
Note: Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!