Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Health & Hygiene Promotion Officer
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract Length: Till 9th June 2019 (six months)
Reports to: Senior Programme Coordinator – WASH
- The PHP officer would lead and support Christian Aid partnerships and programmes and to support the effective implementation of CA funded humanitarian response with local partners implementing the programme.
- To contribute towards the smooth administration of the programme working mainly within the local office team but may have frequent contact with external partners during work
- The role works within the International Programmes role family positioned in Dikwa, the role is part of the wider Nigeria Country Humanitarian Response Team. The PHP Officer will work closely with the SPC WASH and the country team on humanitarian program.
- The position will be based in Dikwa field office with frequent trips to project communities in Borno and other Northeast states (Gombe and Adamawa). The role holder will lead on the assessment and analysis of WASH situations of households and communities, the design of response mechanisms and the high-quality implementation of programmes in an emergency. He/she is responsible for conducting
- hygiene promotion across all project locations. He is saddled with the responsibilities of supervising hygiene promotion activities through the conduct of community hygiene volunteers. In coordination with the emergency response team, he/she provides technical assistance to the field staff and partners, designs and rolls out capacity building activities on WASH and oversees the successful programme implementation.
- The person is also responsible for monitoring WASH programmes, working in collaboration with other civil society organisations, local government and UN agencies (including active participation in the WASH Hygiene Promotion Technical Working Group), and in sharing and incorporating learning into the programming cycle.
- The Christian Aid project is successfully managed following Christian Aid’s humanitarian policies and procedures.
- Manage the PHP aspect of the WASH Projects in North East Nigeria giving support to the Christian Aid WASH team during planning, designing and implementation of WASH Activities. Support other WASH interventions as required.
- Provide support and implement WASH projects with particular focus on PHP of WASH interventions, and links to Hygiene Promotion
- Provide support and guidance to the Hygiene Promotion campaigns in different humanitarian projects.
- Actively participate in interagency WASH coordination with relevant WASH actors at different levels.
- Participate and ensure adequate reporting of sector meetings and other relevant information sharing mechanism for the purpose of coordination
- All programmes are accountable to donors and beneficiaries.
- Christian Aid is represented at all levels, national and internationally.
- Humanitarian and financial policies and procedures complied with, in particular, reporting requirements.
- Support in project proposals development based on strong planning and evaluation procedures using Christian Aid’s internal systems. Funds used for designated purposes
- Support in assessment of WASH needs especially PHP based on a variety of sources, including assessments, technical data, early warning information, and reports from NGOs, the UN and other actors,
- As a PHP expert, coordinate on the general humanitarian response with all stakeholders including humanitarian actors, Missions, Embassies, host governments, NGOs, and donors.
- Ensure effective implementation of the M&E plan, ensuring accurate information is collected and analysed for all programme components. Ensure that impacts or problems are identified clearly discussed in the team and community and fed back into the programming.
- Robust humanitarian practice and minimum standards in disaster response, as reflected in policies and procedures, are successfully implemented.
- Emergency staff performing to high standards and meeting objectives as a result of effective management. Effective capacity building is in place for staff and volunteers on PHP in humanitarian response.
- External: Represents Christian Aid with external actors including donors and government
- Liaise with other actors in emergency response for the region (UN, NGO, national and local authorities, incl. through established coordination mechanisms
- Internal: Works with the country team in Nigeria, and staff in the Humanitarian division.
- Make decisions to ensure the PHP of WASH projects are managed effectively and effectively linked to the wider Nigeria programme.
- Proposes action Christian Aid should take in its response to the emergency and makes day-to-day decisions to guide the implementation and smooth running of the project.
- Supporting the preparation of Christian Aid’s plans for effective utilisation of funds
- Liaison with other implementing partners
- The post holder is responsible for overall lead of the PHP of WASH projects of Christian Aid in North-East Nigeria and is expected to work with initiative and innovation, using analytical skills and their own judgement to recommend humanitarian programme decisions for the organisation in consultation with a wide range of country team and humanitarian colleagues and partner organisations. S/He has to look beyond the challenges as situation is complex. Detailed risk assessment may be required. S/He seeks for and initiates new and diverse sources of information to test solutions and direction.
- Developing self and others
- The post holder is expected to work independently under the supervision of SPC WASH and support from the / Humanitarian Response Manager / Regional Emergency Manager providing leadership and influencing strategies within the country and ensuring upholding of humanitarian standards and principles by Christian Aid staff and partners.
- Key skills required are being able to effectively manage from a distance as well as be able to influence decisions of colleagues at a range of seniority levels.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Qualifications (BA/B.Sc Degree) in a discipline related to development /WASH /or related field
- At least two years’ INGO experience and managing WASH programmes in emergencies
- Minimum of two-year aid-related International NGO experience in North-East Nigeria
- A thorough understanding of and ability to apply the SPHERE standards on WASH
- Team management (if applicable): Experience in working with a team as a strong team player with positive attitude.
- Good knowledge of and experience working with IDPs in Nigeria.
- Good understanding of gender-sensitive programming.
- Good interpersonal, organisational and communication skills.
- Knowledge of capacity building tools; of Sphere and Red Cross Code of Conduct; of HAP standards.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Understanding of partnership approach to emergency/humanitarian work and experience of working with local partners
- Working under own initiative with a variety of different stakeholders especially within the cluster systems
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and facilitating capacity building skills.
- Strong report writing, analytical and documentation skills with Good interpersonal, organisational and communication skill.
- A solid understanding of the behavioural change approach will be an asset.
- Specialised qualification in emergency and/or development work.
- Ability to speak and understand Hausa
- Understanding of the political, social and economic context of the region and the humanitarian/development issues and challenges it faces of peace building and conflict resolution
- Experience of organisational development
- Experience in WASH projects in humanitarian responses
IT Competency Required:
LEVEL 2: You are expected to be able to:
- Take on different work when necessary to achieve a team or organisational goal.
- Actively consult with others to ensure you understand their needs or goals.
- Listen to and take on board fresh perspectives and views even if you initially disagree with them.
- Maintain on-going relationships with individuals and contacts through networks, based on mutual rapport and respect.
- Make complex things simple for the benefit of others.
- Actively listen and question to check your understanding and draw out others when they are not expressing themselves clearly or seem to be holding back.
- Be sensitive to what others may be feeling, based on what they say, how they say it and their non-verbal behavior, adapting your style and approach to fit.
- Address difficult issues when they arise, being honest and open.
- Implement ways to reduce the inefficient use of resources or pass the ideas on to someone who can make them happen.
- Estimate the resources needed to achieve your own work plans or objectives and to deliver them in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Set and communicate realistic timelines for achieving tasks, working out how best to adapt as priorities change or unforeseen circumstances arise.
- Prioritise, plan and monitor own work to meet own and team deliverables to agreed performance or quality standards.
- Acknowledge others’ priorities whilst being prepared to say “no” if there are genuine reasons why their needs cannot be met.
- Use logical processes and relevant tools and techniques to report on information or analyse options.
- Make timely and considered recommendations or decisions based on analysis of available data, information and evidence.
- Evaluate your own work and actively address gaps in knowledge and skills, without prompting.
- Recognise how you react to feedback and manage reactions positively, acting on specific feedback from others.
- Share your knowledge where it will help others to be more effective.
- Provide instruction, constructive feedback and guidance to others to help them learn.
Strive for Improvement:
- Constructively challenge existing practice.
- Seek better ways of doing things, taking into account the possible implications.
- Make positive suggestions on a way forward when faced with challenges even if these falls outside own scope of work.
- Look inside and outside Christian Aid for new ideas and evaluate them for own work.
Full Time Salary
N8,114,408 per year.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd January, 2019.
Interview Date 6th February, 2019.