Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Information Education and Communication (IEC) Technical Advisor
Location: Maiduguri, with frequent field movements to Damboa and other operational sites (ad hoc emergency responses)
Starting date: Asap
Context of the Mission
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), and gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developed internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacement of population as well as cholera outbreak).
- On request, conduct pre and post KAP surveys in the intervention areas.
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for MdM IEC activities, including focus groups with targeted population in order to ensure the adequacy, relevance, broadcasting and full awareness of the messages, ensuring they are worded in a pedagogic manner.
- Support MdM partner which is in charge of sensitizing communities about GBV and available services to ensure the relevancy of messages / approach. In locations where the partner is not active, s/he will support more directly the community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers on this specific topic.
- Support the community outreach supervisors in ensuring that messages do respect local languages, culture, traditions, habits, health perception.
- Develop appropriate tools for data collection of IEC activities and ensure that they are well used by community mobilisers and community outreach supervisors.
- Support the provision of MHPSS services in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MOH PHCC)
- Based on the Borno state context and in line with MdM overall strategy, suggest adjustments to MdM strategy on IEC, in close collaboration with the Health Coordinator, Emergency Response Coordinator, the medical team in general, community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers.
- Advise the community outreach supervisors, community mobilisers, and clinic medical supervisors on developing, implementing and evaluating IEC activities, including medium / materials, content of messages.
- In close collaboration with the other technical advisors, identify the needs of trainings of the community mobilisers, develop training packages on topics related to MdM intervention, and ensure formal and on job / informal trainings to address identified gaps in capacity.
- Propose and disseminate different methodologies (theater, storytelling, flipcharts, and music) to the community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers to improve the impact of messages.
Human Resource, Capacity building / training:
- Identify the capacity building needs of MdM related to IEC and provide trainings.
- S/he will work closely with all technical advisors to ensure that community mobilisers and community outreach supervisors have a perfect understanding of all topics covered by MdM intervention, and that messages reflect the holistic approach of MDM in the area.
Communication & Advocacy:
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
- Hierarchical & Functional links
- The IEC Technical Advisor is directly under the responsibility of the Health Services Quality Coordinator.
- S/he has technical links with the technical advisors (under the Health Services Quality Coordinator), the Health Coordinator and Emergency Response Coordinator and Damboa medical team.
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MdM operational model for the response to Nutrition in humanitarian settings.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
- Reporting, information management, coordination / representation
- Make sure the IEC data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored
- Share to Quality Coordinator, Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate to internal MdM meetings.
- Contribute to MdM monthly sitrep.
- University degree in Social Sciences, Social Communication, Health Promotion or related studies.
- At least 2 years experience in medical preventive and curative programs and health promotion with large community component.
- Extensive experience in training, TOT, participatory techniques, health education programs, community-based medical interventions, design of training modules and IEC material.
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process
- Working Experience in insecure environments is an advantage
- Excellent English is mandatory (oral and written),
Required personal skills:
- Ability to work under stressful situation;
- Has a good team spirit;
- Able to work and live in specific security context.
- Excellent organisational, training and coaching skills is required;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- Sensitive to cultural differences and gender issues.
- Capacity to create relationships with the communities, government authorities, INGO and UN agencies.
- Able to prioritize; Be flexible;
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV in one single attachment via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Because of the emergency relief nature of MdM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.