Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Social Worker
Location: Maiduguri & Damboa – Borno
Slot: 8 Openings
- Under the direct supervision of the Clinic Head Medical Supervisor and working under the direct technical oversight of the Deputy GBV Advisor, the Social Worker will assist in the implementation of case-management of GBV and MHPSS patients with protection needs.
- This will include in-depth management of cases, advocacy on behalf of clients according to their needs, referrals and systematic follow ups, accompaniment as well as overall case coordination.
Provide survivor-centered case-management to GBV clients and MHPSS patients with protection needs:
- Provide holistic assessment of clients’ needs and develop individualized care plans for each client.
- Provide GBV counselling using a survivor-centered approach and other adequate GBV counselling principles.
- Provide GBV psychoeducation to clients as well as other key information regarding MdM services and other services available in the community.
- Identify and respond to clients’ arising needs and work in very close collaboration with the MHPSS and PHC teams to ensure clients’ psycho-social support and other needs are well met.
- Work in close collaboration with GBV Advisor to update referral pathways and systems between community and PHC actors.
- Ensure all work with clients is confidential and that ethical practices are observed in culturally appropriate way, especially with respect to gender sensitivities
- Provide internal and external referrals and follow-up services to clients according to their needs.
- Support clients to navigate complex administrative systems and advocate on their behalf with healthcare, police and security forces, the legal and justice system, and other services as required;
- Ensure services being provided to clients are well coordinated at every level and with every other service provider.
Keep accurate and up-to date records:
- Record all interventions with clients through the drafting of timely and well-written session notes.
- Maintain complete and safely kept client files.
- Deliver strategic health talk in the clinics together with MHPSS and Medical team
- Provide and facilitate psycho-social support activities for the IDP community and host population, with focus on delivering GBV specific PSS services at the clinics and community level.
- Plan and conduct group activities for GBV survivors and other women that focus on support groups, sessions with children, group’s discussion, and community reintegration; using participatory methods adapted activities in accordance to the needs of the different target groups (children, women, etc.);
- Periodically assess progress of individual cases and proceed to closing cases when appropriate and in collaboration with client.
- Sensitize communities on GBV and MHPSS related issues as well as MdM services in the IDP and host communities:
- Support MdM community mobilisers and MdM local partner in conducting awareness raising on GBV risks / consequences and PSS related issues and MDM’s services
Meetings and Reporting:
- Weekly reporting activities and data collection;
- Share data at the end of every month with GBV supervisor
- Participate in regular case management meetings with other MdM social workers and Social workers from other organizations in the areas of intervention;
- Participation in MdM internal meetings
- Attend monthly clinical supervision meeting with GBV Advisor
- Inform security focal point in the case of any safety/security/protection problem.
- Management under direct supervision: Medical Supervisor
- GBV and MHPSS technical Advisors, Deputy GBV Advisors, Medical Supervisors, Deputy SRH/GBV Technical Advisor
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent studies in Social Work, Women’s Studies, or Community Advocacy field.
- At least 2 years of professional experiences in relevant field (social work, psycho-social)Good knowledge of women’s rights issues, GBV and complexities as it relates to target populations
- Ability to communicate effectively with the partners and with beneficiaries.
- Dedication to the position and caring personality
- Fluency in at least two of the following languages: Hausa, Kanuri, Fulani and/or Shua
- Knowledge of English language is required
- Able to read and write.
- Commitment to the GBV Guiding Principles
- Experience working with women and/or children and with survivors of GBV
- Proven experience advocating on behalf of women and children and other marginalized groups in the community (IDPs, GBV survivors, Persons living with a disability, Persons living with mental health issues, Persons living with HIVs etc.)
- Strong communication and active listening skills
- Be committed to MdM’s values as an organization and motivated by its non-statutory, Not For Profit model
- The employee shall respect Médecins du Monde – France’s schedule and Terms and Conditions of Employment and is expected to be available anytime in order to answer to an emergency situation and be flexible and available beyond normal working hours if requested.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV in one single attachment via email to: [email protected] using the “Job Title and Location” as the subject of the mail
Application Deadline 13th June, 2019.