Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners, ensures their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them to have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Hygiene Promotion Officer
Location: Pulka, Borno
Reporting to: WaSH Senor Officer
Contract Duration: 2 months with a possibility of extension
- Under the supervision of the WaSH Senior Officer, ensure the design, implementation, follow-up, and evaluation of NCA hygiene promotion activities in targeted locations.
- This position is specifically oriented towards cholera prevention and response.
- Design, plan and implement hygiene needs assessment including households’ interview, facilitation of FGD, sites visit and meetings with key communities’ members.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programs,
- Support the NCA water and sanitation teams to settle committees or any other community association
- Ensure active findings and referral to health services of any Acute Watery Diarrhea among the targeted communities.
- Design, plan, implement and follow-up hygiene promotion activities such as hygiene sessions for local targeted communities regarding prevention of cholera and other diseases related to poor hygiene practices,
- Ensure that action is taken to mitigate priority WASH related health risks
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH
- services and facilities
- Plan, organize and supervise distribution of hygiene and water and household’s disinfection items to targeted beneficiaries,
- Recruit, train, provide support and manage Community Volunteers or other hygiene outreach workers
- Plan for the resource needs for Hygiene Promotion activities and prepare purchase requests to the senior WASH Officer in a timely manner in collaboration with the rest of the WaSH team.
- Use participatory approaches as far as possible throughout the program cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Collection, consolidation and reporting of weekly hygiene and health related data
- Produce weekly and monthly report of hygiene activities implemented as well as challenges faced.
- Integration, Coordination and Crosscutting aspects
- Coordinate hygiene activities with other NCA’s sectors
- Coordinate local level hygiene activities with other WaSH actors
- Ensure integration of gender, child-protection, HIV, disabilities, environment and other cross-cutting issues to the design, development and implementation of NCA’s hygiene promotion activities
Qualification, Skills and Requirements
- Ability to work well in a team under difficult circumstances
- Proficiency in English and mandatory practice of local languages (Hausa, Kanuri)
- Familiarity with the culture of the affected population, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on hygiene matters
- B.Sc Degree in Public Health, Community Development, Social Sciences, Education, Communication and other related fields
- At least two-year experience of working in humanitarian response with local and/international partner organizations and specifically on cholera prevention/response.
- Practical experience on the use of participatory tools for promotion of sanitation and hygiene
- Applications are only expected from nationals
- Must have good assessment, analytical, communication and planning skills.
- Good oral and written reporting skills in English.
- Training/counterpart development skills.
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non- Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: Recruitment-Ng@nca.no using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- The position needs to be filled immediately.
- The shortlist listing will be done on a rolling basis, please.