Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant/Extension Support – Agricultural Livelihood and Market Recovery Intervention (ALMRI)
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00067
Location: Biu and Mafa – Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Agricultural Livelihood and Market Recovery Intervention (ALMRI) is one of the projects under Market Agricultural Livelihoods and Livestock (MALL) of Mercy Corps Nigeria. The ALMRI program aims to facilitate the recovery of agricultural livelihoods and markets in the context of Northeast Nigeria.
- The positions will be based in Biu and Maiduguri/Mafa with travel to project sites on regular basis. The project works with vulnerable IDPs, returnees and the host community and other stakeholders.
General Position Summary
- The program assistant-extension support will assist the program teams in the day to day implementation of all program activities in the areas of intervention especially on the field with small holder farmers.
- They would also spend some time researching and developing plans for sustainable farming.
Essential Job Functions
- Formulate and implement projects that strengthen agricultural/rural extension and provide technical assistance in capacity development of agriculture innovation systems.
- Prepare advocacy materials and documents to support the strengthening of agriculture innovation systems and support services.
- Provide technical advice on design elements to strengthen and reform extension systems.
- Work directly works with farmers and companies related to agriculture
- Provide agriculture extension service support to focal farming households
- Support the development of increased market linkages for focal farming households
- Coordinate the establishment of kitchen gardens and scaling of successful approaches
- Prepare field visit reports
- Advise farmers to adopt best farming practices
- Represent MCN ALMRI project in the cluster/donor meetings
- Lead stakeholder dialogue and consultation meetings with project communities
- Provide relevant training and skills development to community members on conservation agriculture and on-farm water management
- Provide support in the organization and delivery of technical workshops, consultations, seminars and training sessions on conceptual and practical aspects of extension and rural knowledge institution improvements.
- Contribute to the promotion of extension reforms and capacity development for extension/advisory services with special attention to demand-led, pluralistic, decentralized, market-orientated, and participatory approaches that meet the diverse needs of smallholders and rural people, especially women and marginal groups.
- Contribute to the preparation of studies, position papers and conceptual frameworks that strengthen extension systems and agriculture innovation systems.
- Maintain networks of collaboration with technical specialists to gather information and promote awareness of technical issues to improve extension systems and advisory services.
- Propagate new, more effective farming methods based on the latest research. This may include research on how to farm with nature for good results now and in future.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly To: Program Officer MAL
- Works Directly With: MEL, Programs, Finance and Operations team.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S in Agricultural Science, Plant Science, Sciences or relevant fields and;
- Must have undergo trainings in GAP, FBS or other relevant farming best management practices
- Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices.
- Demonstrate training and facilitation experience
- Ability to work under pressure
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural, communication and mobilisation skills.
- Must be from Borno able to communicate fluently in English, Hausa, Bura and any other local language in Borno state
- Experience working in the development sector, or humanitarian program; general program management experience required.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders especially small holder farmers
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position will be based in Biu, Borno State, Nigeria.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Applications Deadline 30th July, 2019.