The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Development Coordinator
SVN No.: 2019/259
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six month with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Nigeria, and in coordination with relevant units at the Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office (RO), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for contributing to the design and development, and the implementation, oversight and coordination of programmes and projects as well as management of the Programme Support Unit.
- He/she will also facilitate liaising and fund raising with various donors and programme reporting for IOM in Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Coordinate and contribute to the design and development of new programmes, projects and activities based on solid results framework and in response to emerging trends and priorities, as well as donor interests and requirements, in close coordination with the CoM, Regional Office, Programme Managers, Government counterparts and other relevant public/private sector partner organizations.
- Identify and coordinate potential and realistic funding opportunities by reviewing and analyzing calls for proposals, development assistance policies, trends and donor priorities.
- Prepare, coordinate and ensure the submission of funding proposals considering national and donor priorities, United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework (UNDSF); other UN strategic initiatives, and IOM’s country, regional and global strategic priorities and objectives.
- Support and ensure the monitoring of progress against strategic objectives, project and program benchmarks and UNDSF results. Substantively contribute to the establishment of a common Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework that incorporates regular reporting requirements and impact evaluation strategies, in coordination with M&E staff and project managers.
- Liaise between IOM programme managers to ensure that they are observant of IOM and Donors’ financial requirements.
- Coordinate and ensure quality assurance support for migration policy related projects in the mission.
- Oversee contractual negotiations with donors and ensure the Mission’s compliance with the Organization’s related rules and policies.
- Represent IOM in seminars, workshops, events and other meetings aimed at developing new projects and programmes, fundraising and promoting IOM’s image and activities.
- Substantively contribute to the production of visibility/communications materials in close coordination with the Public Information Officer.
- Manage/coordinate the Programme Support Unit (PSU), including supervision of PSU staff, staff capacity building, and participate in the resolution of performance issues.
- Provide administrative, financial and management backstopping for project development and donor liaison, and ensure the preparation of statistical analyses, regular narrative reports, communications, and presentations.
- Identify areas of programme implementation which require the CoM’s intervention.
- Act as IOM Nigeria’s focal point for programme support activities and respond to inquiries from Headquarters (HQs), RO, donors, partners, and any other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in Results Areas Working Groups to present project development and performance matters and to discuss other issues.
- Ensure compliance with donor regulations and obligations and that objectives are met within the agreed timeframe and budget.
- Undertake duty travel relating to advice and guidance to project counterparts and implementing partners, new programme development, and problem resolution.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Relations, Social Science or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience working in an international organization and knowledge of the United Nations (UN) is essential;
- Previous experience with and knowledge of US and European Union (EU) funding mechanisms is essential; knowledge of other countries’ funding mechanisms is an asset;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Excellent report writing skills;
- Effective resource management skills and strategic and creative thinking.
- Experience in project development and project management, humanitarian and migration-related activities, report writing and liaison with relevant stakeholders required;
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- 1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 24th September, 2019.