Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is a research and advisory organization that pursues two twin missions of advancing behavioral science and alleviating poverty. We work with researchers, practitioners, and policy-makers to conduct rigorous field and laboratory-based experimental studies in behavioral economics in developing countries and apply research outcomes to real-world problems. We are headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with active project operations in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Manager
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Growth is in our DNA hence we are currently taking applications for qualified individuals to join the small-but-growing Busara Nigeria team.
The Research Manager will work closely with Busara offices and directly with academic researchers and projects clients to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Engage in multiple large-scale research and advisory projects at a given time.
- Plan, manage and execute external and internal engagements independently from start to finish with limited supervision.
- Ensure all logistical protocols and standards are observed on all project activities. This is by working closely with Research Lab officers and Project Operations team to coordinate primary project planning, community entry, hiring, procurement and any other necessary logistics.
- Serve as a point of contact for clients and partners. Effectively manage needs of stakeholders through proactive communication and troubleshooting.
- Oversee to project on-boarding and off-boarding for knowledge management.
- Responsible for project timelines, deliverables, reports, and staffing.
- Create proposals, concept notes and pitch decks for new business opportunities and knowledge sharing. Present at conferences, networking events, or client meetings.
- Contribute to the design, execution, and dissemination of Busara internal research projects.
- Work closely to lead or support other Managers to fulfill engagement requirements.
- Managing the Lab schedule and calendar by ensuring maximum lab capacity utilization.
- Communicate with clients or PIs (principle investigators) with project updates, or queries.
- Manage data quality protocols by ensuring and participating in training of data collection teams, creating and monitoring protocols, tracking data collection progress.
- Oversee, lead focus groups and in depth interviews.
- Incorporate the latest research in qualitative and quantitative methods, behavioral science, psychology, economics, and development to provide creative solutions to engagements.
- Manage and conduct qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis.
- Design, launch and analyze effective quantitative and qualitative survey instruments with coordination among project staff (Research specialists, Research Lab team, Data and Programming and Operations teams).
- Responsible for training data collection teams, creating and monitoring protocol, tracking data collection progress and ensuring data quality.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the leadership.
- Work with the Research Lab team to conduct goal setting exercises, objectives and key results, and team building events
- Coordinate across teams to ensure healthy work relationships are maintained. Mediate and escalate (to supervisors, HR, or wellness teams) any issues that require attention.
- Serve as champions for the Lab team to manage the team and bring forward all relevant and actionable requests to the proper leadership teams.
- Maintain team morale and organizational alignment
- Serve as examples to other Research Lab staff of how to execute project responsibilities to a high degree through mentorship and training.
- Ensure that Senior Lab officers complete their organizational responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Participate in hiring and onboarding of interns and new Research Lab teams.
- Understand the role of the Lab division within the broader organization and serve to help align the roles and responsibilities of the Labs Manager to ensure a thriving organization.
- Coordinate internal initiatives, committees, and exercises for the Lab teams.
- Serve as sounding boards for initiatives that affect the Lab team.
- Understand the workload of the entire Lab team to help with project assignment.
- Understand the skills and competencies of the entire Lab team for proper project allocation with projects that match their growth trajectory, while serving the needs of the project.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Strong qualitative, quantitative, research, and data analytic skills.
- 1-3 years previous work experience in a related field
- Excellent management and organizational skills.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Fluency and excellent communication and writing skills with a mastery of English.
- Ability to execute projects while sustaining a global focus and vision for institutional planning and decision making.
- Strong quantitative skills including knowledge of and experience working with data analysis software
- Extensive experience managing large scale research and consulting projects in developing countries.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Experience managing or mentoring staff.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.
- Familiarity of behavioral science.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply