Médecins Sans Frontières Is a private, international association. The association is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims.
Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nursing Team Supervisor
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out the functions and tasks associated to his/her specialty, i.e. perform as a nurse, midwife, lab tech and anesthetist, whenever required or needed, in order to optimize the resources, contributing with his/her knowledge and experience.
- Implement all the protocols and hygiene procedures, and supervise his/her team follow the same standards, in order to warrant the quality of the care and service in his/her specialty.
- Organize and coordinate the activities of his/her team (week’s schedule, annual leave, absences, etc.), evaluate their performance and define and ensure the needs for training of staff, in order to ensure the coverage of the human resources needs and maintain high standards of quality.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring that cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols.
- Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service
- Carry-out and/or coordinate administrative (exit-paper, transfer-paper, etc.), information and data collection (patient files, forms, statistics, etc.) tasks, and elaborate regular reporting, in order to have updated and reliable information about the day-to-day activity in the project, output/ outcome and support decision-taking.
- Give feedback/ reports to medical focal point.
- Carry out and/or supervise the ( decentralized) pharmacy and medical equipment management (drugs orders, follow-up of the stock, storage conditions, inventories, follow-up of expired drugs and their destruction, drugs consumption, etc.) in his or her department, in order to satisfy the needs of material with efficiency and effectiveness.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Check whether the EasyNut (electronic patient file) is filled in correctly (e.g. documentation of weight graphs, documentation of important information in the consultants notes, medical prescriptions etc.).
- Make sure the staff has necessary documentation at hand at all times, such as vaccination cards, tally sheets etc and that EasyNut is well functioning on the tablets at hand.
- Perform weekly data analyses of the ATFC data and help analyzing data for reports such as SitRep, MMR and quarterly reports.
- Responsible of requesting help from logistics department for maintenance of ATFC (needs approval from NAM).
- Coaching and training of the nurses, nurse aids and nutrition assistants. Report the training needs to the Nurse Activity Manager in order to create and organize teaching tools and trainings together.
- Supervise the quality of nursing care provided: e.g. administration of medication, triage, vital signs, application of the medical protocols, clinical follow-up, and detection of medical complications.
- Supervise the anthropometric measures: correct measurement and documentation of the weight, height, MUAC and edema.
- Ensure that your team is respecting working hours.
- Overall responsible for correct waste segregation and disposal as per MSF protocol, constantly monitoring and reminding staff of the importance.
- Make sure all staff in ATFC knows their tasks and how to perform in a satisfactory way.
- Ensure that the dignity and confidentiality of the patients and the caretakers is respected at all times.
- Patient orientation
- Ensure that comprehensible health education sessions are given for all caretakers, performed by the health promoters and the medical staff.
- Assist the IPC nurse team leader in supervision of the hygiene of the ATFC and the equipment. Instruct the responsible person if needed.
- Supervise the respect of the standard precautions and additional precautions by all staff members.
- Support the medical dispensers with the inventory of the pharmacy in the ATFC and with the composition of the pharmacy order. Report discrepancies in consumption to the Nurse Activity Manager.
- Perform nursing care if necessary (e.g. in case of heavy workload, in case of doubt or problem for any staff).
- Observe quality of nursing activities and document “nursing audit” weekly.
Teamwork and cooperation:
- Ensure a good working relationship between all the staff in all the departments.
- Assess and solve problems occurring between the patients and the staff.
- Assess and solve problems occurring between staff, in collaboration with the expatriate Nursing Activity Manager
- Responsibility of staffs wellbeing and development. Also responsible of evaluating staff in ATFC twice yearly.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in Nursing Sciences
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri language is desirable
- Essential 2 years of previous experience in a similar role having worked in MSF or other NGO’s is desirable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application, including Cover Letter, Resume, copies of relevant certificates, NYSC certificate/exemption Letters and mention the position on envelop to: email@example.com
Send Hard Copy to:
MSF Belgium Human Resources Office,
Fori Health Center,
Maiduguri, Borno State.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 8th September, 2019.