United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Analyst
Job ID: 26002
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme.
The Sub-Office (SO) for North East (NE) Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results in anticipation of launch of new programmes, such as Nigerian Window of the Stabilization Facility in NE Region. It is considered vital that the NE Sub-Office has efficient and effective monitoring and evaluation (M&E) functions with result- and evidence-based approach and produce timely and accurate reports to the all relevant stakeholders, such as the Government, donor partners, UN agencies, NGOs/CSOs, the academia, and the general public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of Monitoring and Reporting Specialist in NE Sub-Office, the M&E Analyst assist in ensuring solid monitoring and reporting mechanisms for the sub office and manage thematic and crosscutting M&E and reporting
- The M&E Analyst supports that objective monitoring and evaluations are designed and managed to assess the relevance to the needs of stabilization, crisis-response and recovery in the NE Region; effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability of results; monitoring and evaluations carried out in a credible and systematic manner; evaluation lessons and recommendations are used for programme design, contribute to implementation of UNDAF/CPD priorities and results in the NE Region.
Summary of Key Functions
- Support for effective implementation of M&E policies and strategies
- Facilitation of the M&E and reporting process
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on M&E and reporting
Support the implementation of M&E and reporting policies and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support for planning, preparation, budgeting, reporting and oversight of thematic, country programme/project M&E and reporting conducted in the NE region by Sub-Office in close collaboration with PMSU in CO.
- Provide inputs to the programme of work for the NE region, including identification of topics, and projects/programme to be monitored and evaluated.
- Support to ensure M&E and reporting n standards, quality assurance/control and capacity development in the Country Office.
- Assist in organization and coordination of monitoring or evaluation missions for development projects, sectoral and thematic evaluations and desk evaluations/studies on selected sectors/themes
- Support development M&E and reporting tools and processes, innovative approaches that meet the requirements of UNDP in complex conflict situations
Support effective management of M&E and reportting process in the NE Sub-Office the achievement of programme outputs and results, coordinates and drafts project/programme reports in NE Region and provides directions and inputs into communications results of the sub-office:
- Provide the technical advice at the design stage of programmes/projects setting up a M&E and reporting framework with defined indicators at the design stage to facilitate the M&E and reporting at the later stages.
- Provide feedback on M&E-related issues into policy/project/programme design, including comments on various documents.
- Collect information on the programme activities and undertake research on the relevant issues. Provide input for the programme work plan as well as position papers and policy notes.
- Develop and collect data on the project activities (e.g., 4Ws) and achievement indicators for UNDP Programmes/Projects in NE Region. Provide the data on the result indicators to the respective audience through the designated monitoring tools in an accurate and timely manner.
- Support preparation of regular progress and final reports on the Stabilization Facility and other UNDP progrmmes/projects in NE Region based on inputs provided by project personnel in a quality and result-oriented manner in liaison with Programme Management Support Unit (PMSU) in the CO.
- Provide inputs for production and editing of stories, editorials, audio-visual and other materials in support of UNDP sub-office and CO communications efforts.
Support facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support identificaiton and analyses of monitoring and evaluation findings, lessons learned and recommendations to be integrated into broader UNDP‘s knowledge management efforts.
- Support coordination with project counterparts on project activities, data collection, and reporting
- Participation in evaluation community remaining abreast of latest development and professional norms, standards, tools and methodologies;
- Support advocacy on UNDP’s achievements and experiences to wider audiences, in the targeted areas and states and beyond;
- Contribute to the implementation of Evaluation Knowledge Management and Learning Strategy.
- Support collaboration and coordination with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on monitoring and evaluation issues.
- Assist in organization and conduct of results-oriented monitoring and evaluation trainings in the Country Office.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on effective positioning of UNDP as a key actor, in UNDP’s programmes/projects in the NE of Nigeria, thus contributing to the stature and name of UNDP as UN’s global development network
- In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP’s M&E strategies with a view to delivering on-ground UNDP’s programmes and projects in the NE Region, as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis:
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Levle 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts:
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Documents bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes effective solutions
- Embraces new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations):
- Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies:
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Public Administration, Social Science or related field.
- A minimum years of relevant experience at the national or international level in development programming, programme coordination or project implementation.
- Experience in post conflict environment is a strong advantage;
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization, notably with UNDP, is highly desirable. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience on monitoring and evaluation in conflict recovery or development area.
- Working experience working with UN/UNDP is highly desirable;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 20th September, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA).