United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Local Security Assistant – Facilities Security Manager
Job ID: 25929
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – FACILITIES SECURITY
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the overall guidance of the Chief Security Advisor (CSA) and direct supervision of FSCO/FCT, UN Facility Security Manager assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security of UN staff and assets in UN Common Compound (UNCC) in Abuja.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- To manage the integrated physical security system at UNCC/Abuja;
- To develop and implement contingency plans at UNCC/Abuja;
- To supervise and control the work of UN contracted private security service (UPSS) provider(s);
- To supervise the Fire Marshal deployed by the contracted Unarmed Private Security Service (UPSS) Company for the UN facility;
- To tailor and facilitate vital security training/drills/exercises at UNCC/Abuja;
- To conduct an accurate and up-to-date risk assessment of organizational facility assets and implement mitigating measures in line with valid SRMs, policies, regulations, and procedures;
Within delegated authority, the UN Facility Security Manager will be responsible for the following duties:
- Conduct risk assessment of the UN Facilities, identify vulnerabilities and assign priorities to address these vulnerabilities under the overall guidance of CSA;
- Monitor the implementation of security policies and procedures and all matters pertaining to the safety and security of personnel, premises, and assets.
- Supervise, manage, and control the work of UN contracted UPSS in line with binding UNSMS Security PManual Procedures (SMP);
- Coordinate the deployment of QRF (Mobile Police Officers (MOPOL) provided by Host Government in line with FSCO/FCT guidelines;
- Plan and facilitate training for UN Contracted UPSS in line with binding UNSMS SMP;
- Plan, Design and Implement security measures in line with instructions from FSCO/FCT;
- Liaise, coordinate and collaborate with the local government security organizations regarding security arrangements on UN facilities.
- Supervises the Fire Marshall of the Unarmed Primate Security Services Company to accomplish the following:
- Preparation and implementation of policies, standards, regulations and procedures for fire and occupational safety as per UN standards;
- Coordinate with Common Services (UN House Manager) on the design and testing of fire protection systems to ensure that they are in accordance with the fire and life safety codes;
- Investigate all fire incidents including damage to the facility.
- Prepare and issue daily orders and tasks for UPSS and QRF
- Facilitate the security screening of conference facilities at UNCC/Abuja prior to the events;
- Maintain records of lost and found items.
- Conduct fire safety assessment and inspections on UN buildings/facilities and recommend appropriate fire safety measures;
- Respond to Fire Emergencies, rescue and damage control operations. Coordinate fire fighting and damage control assistance from Abuja (FCT) Fire Department;
- Develop Building Evacuation Plans and Procedures. Establish and maintain Floor Fire Warden System for all occupied buildings within the premises. Conduct fire drills on a regular basis and provide training and briefing on fire evacuation and safety procedures;
- Perform any other duties as deemed necessary by the Chief Security Advisor.
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary school, military/police academy background or security training certification;
- A University Degree from a recognized tertiary institution.
Desirable Experience and Skills:
- Ten (10) years working experience preferably in the national security services: (military, police, corporate or INGO security context);
- Good driving skill and possession of a valid driving license;
- Experience with the training of staff in security awareness.
- Capacity in establishing a relationship with Host Government security apparatus;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection, and intelligence considered an asset;
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Ability to travel;
- Physically fit to undertake outdoor operational field activities and deployments.
- Advanced computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Experience in security management with the UN or international agencies.
- Proven experience in report writing;
- Fluency in English and local language of the duty station.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd September, 2019. (Midnight New York, USA)