United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate
Job ID: 26012
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Practice Area – Job Family: Crisis Prevention and Recovery – STABILIZATION
Slot: 2 Openings
- The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes.
- In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme. The Sub-Office (SO) for North East Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results.
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist – Early Recovery, the Programme Associate plays the key roles in execution of services in the Sub-office, supports the design, planning and management of the projects in the NE Region by managing data and document records, providing logistics and secretariat support and facilitating administrative works for implementation. The Programme Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
- The Programme Associate supports the project teams in the Sub-office. The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the Sub-Office and the UNDP CO staff for resolving complex programme-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Supports planning and implementation of programme activities in his/her assigned substantive and/or geographic programme outputs;
- Ensures efficient collection of data and inputs related to activity implementation, monitoring, communications and reporting thus contributing to the required standard of quality and within specified constraints of time and cost; and
- Administrative support to the Project Teams in NE Sub-Office,
Supports planning and implementation of programme activities in his/her assigned substantive and/or geographic programme outputs:
- Support the sub-office in its partnerships with relevant counterparts and target groups in specific locations in the three targeted states
- Supports planning, implementation and monitoring of NE programme components/projects
- Monitors progress and collects data for reporting
- Facilitates and monitors completion of specific works and services as conducted by contractors
- Produces stories, audio-visual and other materials in support of UNDP sub-office and CO communications efforts.
- Supports and facilitates the work of contracted parties and individuals for specific substantive or geographic outputs
- Implements UNDP rules and regulations as well as sub-office directions and procedures.
- Tracks and documents UNDP activities and results as per formats, milestones and other requirements for specific substantive or geographic outputs
Ensures efficient collection of data and inputs related to activity implementation, monitoring, communications and reporting thus contributing to the required standard of quality and within specified constraints of time and cost:
- Contributes to monitoring and data collection on UNDP’s work
- Conducts orderly filing of documentation
- Ensures distributions and mailing of various documentation
- Suggests and facilitates potential partnerships for the benefit of UNDP
- Suggests areas for improvement in programmatic and operational areas.
- Takes minutes of the meetings
Provides administrative support to the Project teams in Sub-office, focusing on achievement of the followingresults:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of DIM projects’ financial Reports.
- Facilitates travel, ticket-booking, DSA payments through ALTAS T&E.
- Provide administrative support for the project team, including arranging meeting/conference logistics and managing office stationery/equipment.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall Sub-office efficiency in programme and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with certification in Business or Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Political or Social Sciences.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization, notably with UNDP, is highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages,
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for UNDP’s advocacy efforts
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions
- Responds positively to new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations):
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a network of contacts in the media and civil society, for use in UNDP’s advocacy efforts
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- The ability to communicate effectively in Kanuri, Hausa, or any other local language spoken in the NE region is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 19th September, 2019.