Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Technical Advisor
Context of the mission
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developped internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacement of population as well as cholera outbreak).
Support the provision of Nutrition services in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MOH PHCC):
- Based on the Borno state context and in line with MdM overall strategy, implement and suggest adjustments to MdM strategy on Nutrition – under the overall supervision of the Health Services Quality Coordinator – in close collaboration with the Health Coordinator, Emergency Response Coordinator and the medical team based in general.
- Advise the clinic team (specific focus on OTP team) on ensuring the implementation of Nutrition related activities, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy, through the Health Coordinator.
- Support the med team, through the Health services Quality Coordinator, to ensure smooth incorporation of Nutrition component with training and implementation / follow up of internal referral pathway;
- Ensure the quality of Outreach Therapeutic Program (nutrition) activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinic team, data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Identify needs of trainings (focus on nurses, OTP staff, community mobilisers), develop / review Nutrition training packages and ensure formal and on job / informal trainings to address identified gaps in capacity.
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for MdM Nutrition activities.
- Carry out and update a mapping of all actors responding to malnutrition and develop a strong network to foster information exchange and synergies.
- Lead on coordination with other actors to ensure safe referral for Nutrition patients to stabilisation centers.
- Actively participate to coordination efforts with Nutrition actors (ex: nutrition cluster).
- Support and follow-up the community mobilization activities in close collaboration with MdM team as well as other stakeholders (ex: community leaders …)
- In close collaboration with the Community Outreach Supervisor and the IEC Technical Advisors, define the sensitisation strategy and communication mediums (radio, press, posters, leaflets…) and organize trainings for community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers.
- Ensure appropriate treatment protocols are followed at MCs and Health Facilities. This includes correct anthropometrical measurements and follow-up of the MUAC, Weight and Oedema ensuring accurate patient database management, admissions and exit criteria etc is respected.
Support the quality of nursing care being provided in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MoH PHCC):
- Oversee the quality of the paramedics’ activities: registration, nutritional screening, OTP dispensing dressings, injections, immunization (EPI), health education, etc.
- Support teams on the field to develop and implement proper hygiene and asepsis, including waste management.
- Support and monitor triage activities and patient’s flow.
- Participate to the development of IEC tools in close collaboration with Med Tech Advisor and IEC Advisor, under the management of Health Services Quality Co.
- Ensure direct care to patients when necessary
Human resource, capacity building / training:
- Supervise the Nurse Nutrition technical advisor deputy for the provision of on job technical support to clinic staff involved in the provision of nutrition services and supervision of quality of nursing cares in Damboa, Maiduguri and new operational sites.
- Identify the capacity building needs of MdM related to nutrition and nursing cares Organize and/or facilitate trainings on the response to Nutrition, in line with MdM training materials available.
- Support deputy in the provision of on-job training related to need identified;
- Work towards the nationalization of the position of Nutrition Technical Advisor through capacity building and continuous support of the identified staff
Communication & advocacy:
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MdM operational model for the response to nutrition in humanitarian settings.
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
Reporting, information management, coordination / representation:
- Make sure the nutrition data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that nutrition data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored;
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- Make sure data collection system exists and is properly implemented for monitoring of nursing care;
- Share to health Services Quality Coordinator, Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate to the nutrition cluster meetings and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- If needed, participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in nutrition.
- Contribute to MdM monthly sitrep.
- Participate to internal MdM meetings.
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The Nutrition Technical Advisor is directly under the responsibility of Health services Quality Coordinator. S/he has functional links with others technical advisors, Health Coordinator and Emergency Response Coordinator and Damboa medical team.
Background of the candidate
- Sex indifferent Humanitarian experience Yes
- Nationality Nigerian Emergency experience Yes
- Coordination experience Yes
- English Fluent Computer skills Excellent excel skills
- French Added value Driving licence No
Skills and Experience Needed
- B.Sc in Nursing;
- At least 3 years of professional experience as nutritionist or advisory function on emergency nutrition programming;
- At least 1 previous experience with an INGO is required (with MdM is an asset);
- Ability to provide quality training;
- Relevant qualifications in Emergency Nutrition, IYCF, screening and treatment of Severe Acute Malnutrition is required
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process
- Working Experience in insecure environments is an advantage
- Excellent English is mandatory (oral and written),
Required personal skills:
- Excellent organisational, training and coaching skills is required;
- Has a good team spirit;
- Able to work and live in specific security context.
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MdM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- Capacity to create relationships with the communities, government authorities, INGO and UN agencies.
- Able to prioritize; Be flexible;
- Ability to work under stressful situation;
Deadline: 18th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: email@example.com using the “Job Title and Location” as the subject of the mail.