FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Mobilisation and Gender Specialist
Job type: Full time
- Under the supervision of the State Team Lead, the Technical Officer will assist in materials development, trainings and continuous professional development of primary school teachers/Integrated Qur’anic School (IQS) Facilitators in the assigned states.
- Working closely with the Output 1 Lead, and other technical staff, the Technical Officers will ensure effective planning, delivery and documentation of program interventions.
Minimum Requirement Standards
- Bachelor’s Degree in education with a concentration in early grade reading, literacy, language acquisition and non-formal education or related field. At least 5 years’ experience in education reform with a focus on primary education sector work in language acquisition and/or child literacy or reading especially in Hausa Language. Certification as reading/literacy specialist preferred.
- Demonstrable knowledge of research-based best practices in content-area reading skills and strategies and literacy instruction.
- Experience/preparation in modeling teaching, observing teachers, and providing non-judgmental feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to work with government, partners and/or local government structures and school settings.
- Proven expertise in mother tongue (L1), early grade reading instruction and/or assessment and reading material development, preferably in Hausa Language.
- Significant experience in teacher training and support for development, production and distribution of instructional materials, including but not limited to: effective teacher training modules, assessment and/or supplementary materials.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of reading & literacy programs in Nigeria. Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding formative learning processes.
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain good working relationship with staff and other partners.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially in terms of reporting. Relevant computer software and internet skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English and Hausa language.
- Ability to travel in Nigeria minimum of 50%.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Support review, development and production of literacy materials to improve learning outcomes, including but not limited to: effective teacher training modules, assessment, monitoring, supplementary materials, mentoring/coaching guide and Community of Practice Guide.
- Support the development of strategies to improve effective teacher training, assessment, monitoring and mentoring/coaching system.
- Assist in coordinating and/or facilitating Hausa language, English and math curriculum enrichment efforts.
- Assist in development and implementation of standards, indicators of success, and benchmarks.
- Assist to coordinate the implementation of all teacher professional development workshops, Community of Practice meeting and implementation of all Master trainers’ workshops at state level.
- Liaise with government agencies and schools to maximize opportunity for enabling policy, sustainability and ownership for reading and numeracy intervention in the state.
- Ensure availability of adequate teaching and learning materials and resources in schools to enhance learning outcomes.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan.
Other Benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.