Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading Nonprofit Research and development firms. EDC designs, implements and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide.Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Assessment Officer
The Assessment Officer is expected to:
- Communicate clearly, accurately, efficiently, and courteously;
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, demonstrating leadership and initiative; and
- Implement and maintain various technologies and data management systems. All positions require adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
The Assessment Officer will:
- Provide support for development of project-specific literacy and other kinds of assessments
- Assist to conduct in-country adaptations of international literacy assessment tools
- Assist to develop and implement literacy and other kinds of assessments in three of Nigeria’s Northern states
- Participate in data analysis and cleaning
- Assist in preparing reports on assessment results
- Support the creation of communication briefs and presentations on basic literacy and other kinds of assessments
- Support knowledge sharing efforts related to evaluation protocols, procedures and reports
- Collaborate closely with the M&E team in all activities
The Assessment Officer:
- Effectively interacts with diverse staff, colleagues, and clients
- Seeks and incorporates feedback
- Coordinates administrative and logistical tasks
- Coordinates quality assurance
- Facilitates project teamwork and feedback exchanges
- Collaborates on troubleshooting complex problems, proposing initiatives and recommending or negotiating solutions
- Adapts readily and demonstrates flexibility
- Supports innovation that benefits project activities
- Implements and promotes the use of EDC and project systems
- Seeks help and support as needed
- Demonstrates initiative and willingness to learn
- Supports staff in carrying out tasks
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills:
- Demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to effectively work independently as well as ingroups; strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- High School diploma required, BA/BS degree highly desired
- 3+ years work experience and 2+ years of assessment, research and evaluation experience
- Experience with computer applications (including databases), psychometric or statistical measurement techniques, and Internet research
- Some prior research or evaluation leadership preferred
- Travel to project states required, up to 30%
- Proficiency in Hausa
An ideal candidate will have:
- Academic background and professional interest in basic literacy research and evaluation
- Experience in data collection, processing, and analysis
- Statistical analysis skills
- Ability to analyze and provide written synopses
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple priorities
- Prior experience with USAID-funded projects preferred
Job Title: Finance and Procurement Officer
- The USAID/Nigeria’s Northern Education Initiative Plus project, being implemented by Creative Associates and EDC, works to improve the quality of and access to education in Nigeria’s Northern states.
- The Finance and Procurement Officer will be responsible for working under the Finance and Administration Officer to manage project expenditures, accounts and procurement.
- This position is based in Sokoto, Nigeria, and will report to the Sokoto Senior Finance and Administration Officer.
- Manages day to day finance operations, including implementing EDC and USAID policies, procedures and systems, reviewing accounts payable documents for proper accuracy and completeness, and liaising with bank on all banking issues
- Completes donor financial reporting, tracks spending, and supports the Finance and
- Administration Officer in Sokoto Provides updated monthly cost reports and draft quarterly financial reports and monthly ad hoc reports on financial status of project expenses and budget information
- Manages the process of clearing bills, payments, and vouchers from the Abuja field office;
- Manages the transfer of project funds received from the central account
- Maintains accurate and complete accounting and procurement records and assist with financial audit preparations
- Tracks equipment purchases made from the Abuja office in coordination with the accountant in Sokoto
- Works closely with the home office in Waltham, MA to ensure reconciliation of monthly expense reports, and respond to any inquiries they may have
- Manages the procurement of the project’s goods, services, and equipment made out of the
- Abuja office in conjunction with the Finance and Administration team in Sokoto.
- A high school diploma is required. A Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, or other related fields, is highly desired.
Skills and Experience:
Candidates must demonstrate expertise in accounting, finance or business administration. They must have knowledge of procurement and accounting principles, USAID rules and regulations and Nigerian labour laws in addition to the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent with 3-5 years related experience with international projects, or Master’s degree or equivalent with 1-3 years relevant experience with international projects; CPA strongly preferred
- Experience using finance systems, preferably Excel and QuickBooks
- Ability to balance work within a team environment with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational, communication, computer, and interpersonal skills
- The candidate must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English Candidates must demonstrate the ability to balance work within a team environment while working with minimal supervision; strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills; good technical writing skills. Candidates must have the ability to travel regularly to Bauchi, Sokoto and other states in Northern Nigeria and to work effectively with diverse stakeholders.
Application Closing Date
17th January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.