Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operation Officer
Reference Number: MDG / HUMOPS / 2020 / 00001
Location: Ngala – Borno State
Reports Directly to: Operations Manager
Works Directly With: MEL, Programs, Finance and Operations
Program / Department Summary
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. In mid-2014 Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by in the north east Nigeria and started its humanitarian program.
- All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
- As part of his / her responsibilities the Operations Officer will undertake tasks under procurement, administration, logistics and security working in close collaboration with the finance and program teams based Ngala.
- She / he will promptly and effectively provide all required support to programs so to deliver the assistance to beneficiaries in a timely, compliant and transparent manner.
- The Operations Officer provides day-to-day support to the program operations in Ngala the north – east, under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager based in Ngala.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensures fair competition and strictly adhere to Mercy Corps procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described by Mercy Corps
- Interacts with contractors, in coordination with the Operations Manager Ngala and Program Manager;
- Ensures that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Mercy Corps standards. Maintains and updates the procurement files
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests (PR) and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s with support from Operations Manager in Ngala – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Conduct regular market survey at least every quarter with coordination and support from Operations Manager in Ngala;
- Read and has clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual and all procedures;
- Lead Mercy Corps daily Procurement Activities in Ngala Office to meet program and country mission objectives in a timely manner and in accordance with Mercy Corps guidelines and donor regulations;
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to new staff on these policies and provided refresher training as gap in staff knowledge are identified;
- Conduct Preferred Supplier process for Accommodation, stationary and other repetitive request in coordination with Procurement Officer and Operations Officer in Ngala;
- Maintains PR Master Lists and shares with staff on weekly bases.
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms;
- Raise payment request for vendor’s payments and monitor the status of each payment.
- Advise Operations Manager Ngala on any broken, damaged or destroyed equipment;
- Participates in regular assets inventory and checks.
- Ensures that all the assets are maintained and in good condition. Check assets stickers regularly;
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual and all procedures;
- Assists the Asset Controller with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets;
- Maintain inventories of Mercy Corps premises (non-expandable properties) conduct regular checks (quarterly);
- Ensure that all vehicles have proper on-board vehicle documentation;
- Schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs;
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Fleet Management Policy Guidelines;
- Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy;
- Ensure Vehicle Authorization is approved before leaving Mercy Corps Office;
- Oversees the vehicles movement plans;
- Coordinate with HR in Ngala to ensure proper tracking of drivers HR files;
- Oversees the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the servicing schedule
- Maintains vehicles documentation, including log sheets, repairs logs and schedules
- Monitors vehicles fuel consumption
- Ensures that office has sufficient office supplies.
- Oversee the management of office consumable (office materials like: stationary, cleaning & hygiene,): that will include: collecting the requests on monthly bases, maintaining the stock, monitoring the use.
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Field Administration Manual and all procedures;
- Liaises with Operations Manager on renewal of Ngala office rental agreements;
- Establishes and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence. Receive and dispatch mail;
- Ensures that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies.
- Monitor the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the service schedule;
- Monitor generator fuel consumption
- Co-ordinates any other necessary administrative and office management details.
- Makes all necessary travel and logging arrangements for Ngala visitors
- Responsible for oversight of vehicle rentals including tracking of leases and payment.
- Facility management ( cleaning, equipment repairs, utilities, water supply, green office considerations, facility keys management ect)
- Administrating communication, ensuring internet, printers are working, staff has enough phone credit.
- Collect HR related documentation and liaise with the country office on HR tasks
Operations Management – Security:
- To ensure through comprehensive briefings, that all staff and visitors to are fully appraised of the risks, the prevailing security situation and any security procedures.
- To manage and maintain all security communications equipment;
- If needed, conduct security risk assessments of core operational features and record and report findings;
- To ensure that compound guards remain an effective and credible deterrent;
- To act as the office Security Focal Point.
- The Operations Officer will conduct himself / herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- Supervisory Responsibility: Technical support for all operations in the deep field offices and Security Company.
Knowledge and Experience
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities. A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Excellent oral and written English skills;
- Knowledge of Ngala local languages is required;
- A relevant first Degree in Business or Arts is desired.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in operations (logistics, procurement), preferably within an NGO; international business or related field. Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Strong computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel;
- Excellent spoken and written English, strong computer skills are a must ;
- Proved organizational skills.
- Ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines;
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work comfortably with ethnically diversified team members ;
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement ;
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated attention to details;
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job title” as subject of the email.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
Application Deadline 14th January, 2020.