Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychologist
Location: Pulka, Gwoza LGA, Borno
Report to: Mental Health Activity Manager
Report to (functional): Mental Health Activity Manager
Area: Medical & Paramedical
Working Hours: 48 per week
Contract Duration: Six Month Renewable
- Providing psychological support to patients according to MSF principles, standards and procedures in order to improve the patients’ mental health.
- Implementing the Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol, identifying possible victims of SGBV and referring them to the medical team so that they receive the necessary treatment.
- Providing psychological support and psychotherapy sessions (individual, family, group) to patients according to MSF protocols in order to improve their mental health conditions
- Assisting and training staff members and resourceful people whenever necessary in order to enhance the scope of MH activities. Working in close collaboration with translators in order to ensure appropriate terminology and behaviour during sessions
- Collecting statistical and monitoring data about mental health activities
- Informing the supervisor and the medical team about any issues or problems that may arise related to patients’ treatment in order to provide the best possible solution from a medical perspective
- Ensuring that all patient information is kept confidential.
- Carrying out evaluation of mental health needs of patients and establishing a diagnosis and a plan of treatment. Informing the patient and his/her relatives about the possible consequences of the illness and the drug treatment to follow and referring patients to other health professionals whenever necessary, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment and improve the patient’s condition
- Essential degree or diploma in Psychology, degree in Clinical Psychology is desirable
- Essential 2 years’ experience minimum as a Psychologist
- Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries
- English and Hausa essential, Local languages Mandra, Kanuri desirable.
- Essential computer literacy ( word, excel and internet)
- Results and Quality Orientation – L2
- Teamwork and Cooperation – L2
- Behavioural Flexibility – L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles – L2
- Stress Management – L3.
- NGN 4,344,067 (Annual Basic salary + 13th Month) As per the MSF salary scale (National contract).
Job Title: Midwife
Location: Pulka, Gwoza LGA, Borno
Reports To: Midwife Supervisor
Reports To (functional) : Midwife Supervisor / Midwife Activity Manager
Area: Medical / Paramedical
Working Hours: 48 Hrs / Week
No. of Places: One (01)
Contract Duration: 6 Months
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardized protocols.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse in the management of Sexual Violence cases
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about the importance of breastfeeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols, as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc )
- Participating in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwives and the maternity ward supervisor. Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently Manage obstetric emergencies;
- Identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the newborn, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.),
- Detecting possible anomalies/infections of the newborn and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions
- Participate in the supervision of the use of drugs, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use, as well as pharmacy stock levels, are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point.
- 1 BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocics, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and newborn care including neonatal resuscitation. 2 CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (caesarean section, hysterectomy, laparatomy), safe blood transfusion and care to sick and low birth weight newborns.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Collaborate with mental health team whenever needed
- Participating in data collection and documentation of department activities and keeping supervisors informed.
- Community engagement: when requested by supervisor, visit the community in order to support Traditional Birth Attendants and /or Health Promoter team in health education and care of both pregnant, post-delivery.
- Medical care of victims of sexual violence.
- Education: Essential Midwifery qualification or specialization. Desired Bachelor in Midwifery Experience: Essential working experience of at least two years in midwife activities related jobs.
- Languages: English and Hausa essential, Local languages Mandra, Kanuri desirable.
- NGN3,949,153 (Annual Basic salary + 13thMonth). As per the MSF salary scale (National contract)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV, Motivation Letter, Copy of Practicing Licence and copies of Credentials (only PDF or Word) either by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (in the subject please to put the position and the reference for while you are applying). Applications should be accompanied by copy of the NYSC certificate.
In-person to MSF SPAIN Office at Pulka, Borno State.
Application Deadline 2nd March, 2020.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.