Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Direct Line Manager: Field Coordinator
Starting date: As Soon As Possible
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Supervise the Logistics team in the field base:
- Organization and supervision of the logistics department in the base.
- Perform evaluations of team members and follow-up on objectives as well as the performance of team members.
- Plan staff development/training for the logistics team at the base level. Train staff and provide ad-hoc support on how to properly operate within and implement AAH-USA logistic policy and procedures.
- Be the backup of any logistic team member in the base whenever on leave or sick.
- Provide weekly/monthly planning for the team in the base; Prioritize tasks, set deadlines and follow up on tasks requested from team members.
- Motivate the team through sound people management principles.
- Contribute to or draft guidelines were needed to ensure tasks and responsibilities are well defined and known.
Objective 2 – Supervise the Supply Chain function at the Base:
- Facilitate a supply planning mechanism between the Programs, Finance and supply team at the base;
- Support the Project Procurement Plans (PPP) and Supply plans process and raise alert when they are not developed and implemented in the base.
- Carry out spot checks all across the supply chain whenever needed.
- Supervise stock management (storage conditions, stock reports, expiry dates…) and ensure that it follows laid down procedures and; that stock release orders, stock cards, SFU and other documents and/or tools are used and systematically updated.
- To monitor the deliveries to the departments/bases/programs.
- Ensure the monthly stock report is done on time.
- Carry out spot check across the warehousing process every month.
- Sit-in for the supply chain manager when he is on leave
- Cross-checks PFUs with supply plans, discuss with Program managers discrepancies.
- Follow up on requests believed to represent a financial risk for the organization.
- Support procurements in fields where logistics expertise is required (vehicles, rehabilitation,…), provide support has requested by supply chain manager or HoD logistics ( participate in tender committees on request, back up,…), raise an alert in case of breach of AAH kit log procedures or donors rules and regulations.
Objective 3 – Supervise Fleet & Transport Management:
- Oversee the vehicle fleet weekly and monthly plan using AAH tools and ensure their actual implementation.
- Support the logistics Head of the Department to identify the needs of vehicles.
- Check that the rented vehicles are in line with the approved documents and approve the monthly payments.
- Ensure base vehicles are serviced on time and that records are properly kept in appropriate fleet folders.
- Follow-up the fuel consumption and approve the monthly payment.
Objective 4 – Equipment Management:
- Supervise equipment management (ensure IT Officer’s management of equipment follows Kit log, IT Policy and Mission guidelines) in liaison with the mission ICT manager.
- Ensure by proper supervision of IT Officer that all communication means are working in the mission (Internet, HF/VHF, GSM, and Thuraya) and that licenses to use them are up to date.
- Ensure by proper supervision of IT Officer that all users have signed a temporary allocation form for all equipment that they are receiving and that small asset register at the capital is properly used by IT Officer to track equipment movements.
- Perform regular controls to ensure the accuracy of monthly equipment lists consolidated by IT Officer.
Objective 5 – Management and planning:
- Contribute with Logistic HoD to the development, implementation, and review of the mission Country Logistic Strategy.
- Ensure that the PPP is prepared for each proposal on the base and that the supply plan is regularly updated.
- As a senior staff member of Action Against Hunger, the Logistics manager is expected to have an overall knowledge of the base projects, setups, and their budgets follow up.
- Contribute with Logistic HoD to the preparation of audits.
- Prevent fraud, report and manage any fraud issue identified.
- Ensure good communication between the logistics team and all departments in the base, more especially the project implementation team.
- Support Logistics HoD in preparing a spending plan for mission log related cost (fleet planning…).
Objective 6 – HR Management:
- Hire (with support from the HR department) and manage the logistics team in the base.
- Ensure a good team dynamic within the logistics team.
- Prevent and manage conflicts within the team and with other departments.
- Ensure all logistics staff have objectives, action plans, and training plans.
- Ensure all logistics staff are appraised and the needs of support/training are identified and shared with Field Coordinator and Logistics Coordinator.
Objective 7 – Operational Security and Communication Management at the Base:
- Ensure daily communication systems (radio, phones…) are done.
- Ensure all logistic works are reported incorrect templates at the defined timelines, and Monthly Logistic Report is shared with HoD Log, Operation Support Coordinator, and Field Coordinator on a defined timeline.
- Represent Base Logistic Team in the Base Coordination meeting and to other external stakeholders.
- Ensure standard AAH communication procedures are respected in the capital and on the bases
- Report any incident to the Fieldco using the kit log format.
Internal and External Relationship
- Field / Operations Support Coordinator: Supervisory Hierarchical relationship– exchange of information and collaboration on team management issues
- Base IT Officer: Direct supervision
- Base Logistician / Logs Assistants: Direct supervision
- Base Supply Chain Manager: exchange of information, support
- Programme / Technical Managers: exchange of information and coordination,
- Logistic HoD: Technical Hierarchical relationship– exchange of information
- Finance HoD and Field Finance Manager: exchange of information
- Partners: exchange of information, mainly about security
- Beneficiaries: exchange of information, mainly about security.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, Business Administration or Purchasing and Supply.
- Certification in CIPS, Supply or Logistics desirable
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ extensive experience in logistics management, preferably in humanitarian or development work
- High level of Integrity and Transparency
- Possess strong analytical, communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Effective multitasking skills with the ability to coordinate and handle pressure/stress well
- Flexible, able to live and work in a stressful and insecure environment
- Excellent people management skills combined with the ability and desire to further develop staff capacity
- Strong organization and management skills and ability to coordinate a diverse range of people and responsibilities.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload, using initiative when appropriate and demonstrate good judgment
- Organization & Planning
- Adaptability & Flexibility
- Resistance to Pressure & Capacity to Deal with Difficult Situations
- Results Orientated
- Effective & Synthetic Communication
Minimum Basic Salary
NGN 424,310 per Month.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline 11th March, 2020.