Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction Site Monitoring Assistant
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2020/00037
Location: Biu – Borno, Nigeria with at least 60% travel to project locations
Position Status: Full-time
Program / Department Summary
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way.
- Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective.
- First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities.
- In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives. These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
General Position Summary
- The Construction Site Monitoring Assistant supports the Programme Officer in the planning and implementation of community infrastructural asset rehabilitation and constructions – including supporting the work of Community Resilience Groups, overseeing the implementation of community infrastructural asset rehabilitation and supervising Cash for Work participants, providing technical guidance on construction site to Cash for Work participants, work with procurement teams in facilitating procurement of construction materials and quality checks.
- S/He will be responsible for supporting the implementation of strategic, impactful, and high-quality programming.
- The Construction Site Monitoring Assistant will report to the Programme Officer, and work collaboratively with fellow program staff. S/he will work extensively with other sectors of the project to ensure that all activities are implemented successfully and timely.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Supervise the construction works under Shelter technical team’s guidance
- Ensure project engineering estimates and design drawings are followed during implementation.
- Follow the team work plans and project implementation plans
- Ensures that items procured meet specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and Mercy Corps procurement guidelines and in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain working relationships and coordinate with relevant international and local agencies active in the shelter working group and related coordination platforms.
- When planning rehabilitation works, ensure that the technical component reflects Sphere minimum standards for the provision of emergency and other types of shelter assistance and is within the budgetary requirements. Standards for other sectors such as water and sanitation should be taken into consideration also
- Watch and report on any new needs arising in the project target areas.
- Adhere to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Lead on program administrative task such filling, photocopying, scanning and printing
- Regularly monitor program sites in order to ensure that rehabilitation works are adapted to local needs, provide quality control assurance, and to conduct regular audits of program activities.
- He/she would assist to develop technical components to community asset rehabilitation and preparation of BOQ and Estimates, Planning, Technical Details, Drawings, improve development techniques for the safer building/shelter and other all Civil and Architectural related projects.
- Ensure program activities are implemented within the set timeline and are delivering according to the work plan.
- Supervise the construction works, and administer the works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Collect and share data according to evolving needs.
- Timely reports to immediate supervisor on potential delays and/or cost overruns that can either be prevented or mitigated
- Preparation of payment certificate and work progress record for the review of the contractors
- Works closely with contractors in the field with provision of technical support and guidance.
- Ensure that local communities and the Community Resilience Groups have been consulted on all activities so as not to create unnecessary tension between the displaced and host populations.
- When identifying Cash for Work participants, ensure that the needs of the most vulnerable population of concern (POC) and host families are addressed. Mercy Corps vulnerability indicators should be applied in a participatory manner during the beneficiary selection.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Program Officer
- Works Directly With: Other program Officers and assistants in the program
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree / HND in Construction, Building, Civil Engineering, or other relevant fields.
- 1-2 years of field experience implementing construction work in any sector.
- Experience working in development or recovery infrastructural programming and Cash-for-Work programming is desirable.
- Experience working with local stakeholders required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the AutoCAD and MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required, with strong focus on Excel.
- Ability to analyze databases resulting from surveys.
- Proven experience working in remote environments.
- Good organizational and program management skills and the ability to anticipate program needs.
- Ability to effectively represent the organization and its interests to a diverse range of stakeholders, including local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, donors, other international organizations, the media and the community.
- Fluency in English, Hausa and any local languages is required.
- Strong Work Ethic, having the ability to learn the most efficient way of learning the most efficient way to complete tasks and finding ways to save time while completing daily assignments. Dependability and Responsibility, having the ability to come to work on time, are there when they are supposed to be, and are responsible for their actions and behavior. Adaptability, being adaptable and maintaining flexibility in completing tasks in an ever-changing workplace. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions
- The position is based in Biu, Borno State and it requires up to 60% travel to project locations
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Applications Deadline 11th July, 2020.