Community Health Extension Worker Interview Questions
Community health extention workers (CHEWs), also called Community health workers are frontline public health workers who have a close understanding of the community they serve. This trusting relationship enables them to serve as a liaison between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
Community health workers may be lay members of the community rather than trained medical personnel and can work for pay or as volunteers. Duties for this position include advocating for the needs of individuals and the community, education on the availability of healthcare services, and conducting outreach programs.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Community Health Extension Worker or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Community Health Extension Worker position,
these Community Health Extension Worker interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Community Health Extension Worker Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Community Health Extension Worker interview questions.
- Why do you want to be a Community Health Extension Worker?
- What are the main job duties and responsibilities of a community health extension worker
- What experience do you have for this position?
- Where did you do your CHEW Certificate internship? What topics did you work on? Why did you choose this internship?
- During your education (including your CHEW Certificate) what projects did you do and on what topics? Was there an area of the certificate program you were most interested in?
- How do you work with the community? How do you help families and communities be healthier?
- Do you have any training in evidence-based health education models (Diabetes Prevention Program, Chronic Disease Self-Management Program, A Matter of Balance, etc.)?
- Describe an experience where you advised clients or community groups on issues related to improving general health, such as diet or exercise.
- People doing this job work with families in the community, and don’t just sit in an office. What skills will you use to work with families in the community?
- What is the challenging part of identifying or contacting members of high-risk or otherwise targeted groups, such as members of minority populations, low-income populations, or pregnant women? Share an example.
- In your opinion, how hard is it to report incidences of child or elder abuse, neglect, or threats of harm to authorities? Share an experience.
- Name a time when you developed plans or formal contracts for individuals, families, or community groups to improve overall health.
- How do you build trust and relationships with other professionals working with families?
- If you were working with a client in the community and you were not sure how to help them, what would you do?
- This job includes interpreting (talking) and translating (writing) from English to another language. What helps you do a good job at interpreting or translating?
- Describe methods you use to interpret, translate, or provide cultural mediation related to health services or information for community members.
- Explain in detail, how you assist families to apply for social services.
- How often do you conduct home visits for pregnant women, newborn infants, or other high-risk individuals to monitor their progress or assess their needs? Should more time be spent on pregnant women?
- Describe an experience where you advise clients or community groups to ensure parental understanding of the importance of childhood immunizations and how to access immunization services. How was it received?
- What is the most challenging part of advising clients or community groups on issues related to social or intellectual development, such as education, childcare, or problem-solving? Share an experience.
- When was the last time you taught classes or otherwise disseminated medical or dental health information to school groups, community groups, or targeted families or individuals, in a manner consistent with cultural norms? Did it work?
- What is the key to success with teaching appropriate parenting behaviors to individuals or families? Share an example.
- How often do you provide feedback to health service providers regarding improving service accessibility or acceptability? Do you get feedback?
- What have you found to be the best way to monitor the nutrition of children, the elderly, or other high-risk groups? Share an experience.
- Tell us about a time when you were good at communicating, and it made a difference.
- Tell us about a time when you tried to get someone to do something they didn’t want to do.
- What do you do in difficult situations or situations with conflict?
- Share an example where you effectively advised clients or community groups on issues related to sanitation or hygiene, such as flossing or hand washing.
- Tell me how you advise clients or community groups on issues related to the risk or prevention of conditions such as lead poisoning, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), prenatal substance abuse, or domestic violence.
- How do you protect people’s private health information?
- Describe methods you have found useful to advise clients or community groups on issues related to diagnostic screenings, such as breast cancer screening, pap smears, glaucoma tests, or diabetes screenings.
- Tell me about your ability to work under pressure?
Community Health Extension Worker Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Community Health Extension Worker interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- Why Should We Hire You?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?