Community Health Extension Worker Job Description
Job Descriptions > Community Services and Development > Community Health Extension Worker
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Community Health Extension Worker? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Community Health Extension Worker? What does a Community Health Extension Worker do?
Job Description of a Community Health Extension Worker
Community health extention workers (CHEWs), also called Community health workers are frontline public health workers who have a close understanding of the community they serve. This trusting relationship enables them to serve as a liaison between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
Community health workers may be lay members of the community rather than trained medical personnel and can work for pay or as volunteers. Duties for this position include advocating for the needs of individuals and the community, education on the availability of healthcare services, and conducting outreach programs.
Community Health Extension Worker Duties and Responsibilities
Community Health Extension Worker job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Ensure client database is always well-maintained, making sure to include all necessary notes, forms and supplementary information through weekly checks and updates to promote efficiency.
- Meet with clients, individuals and community organizations as needed to create health programs designed for individual use and for groups.
- Participate in weekly outreach efforts to raise community awareness of general health, new diets/exercise programs and health risks to specific groups, such as pregnant women, minorities and low-income populations.
- Review currently existing programs and health initiatives to ensure they’re up-to-date, effective and safe for their intended audience(s).
- Reach out to clients on a daily basis using a variety of mediums (phone, Skype, in-person) to check up on their progress, answer questions, make personalized recommendations and changes to their programs if necessary.
- Supervise the treatment of patients living with terminal illness so that they can live healthier and longer lives.
- Serve as a counselor, helping poor patients overcome the barriers that prevent them from seeking vital healthcare.
- Act as healthcare educators, providing vital education about the healthcare options that are available.
- Complete administrative tasks on an ongoing basis to ensure proper and organized record keeping, working with staff members when/if necessary.
Community Health Extension Worker Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Community Health Extension Worker job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Associate degree or higher in health or human services
- Experience in the substance abuse and/or mental health field
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of community agencies and resources.
- Working knowledge of multi-system outreach programs related to health care delivery, clinical education, and health-related services
- Ability to plan, implement, and evaluate individual client care plans.
- Knowledge of transportation and other barriers to care that may be encountered by client.
- Ability to communicate medical information to health care professionals and care coordinators over the telephone.
- Skill in use of personal computers and related software applications, including e-mail.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Creative and analytical thinking.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Community Health Extension Worker starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Community Health Extension Worker job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Community Health Extension Worker may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Community Health Extension Worker Job Description