Care Manager Job Description
Job Descriptions > Community Services and Development > Care Manager
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Care Manager? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Care Manager? What does a Care Manager do?
Job Description of a Care Manager
A Care Manager is a healthcare provider who assesses patients' needs and creates personalized care plans. Care Managers also act as supervisors at facilities such as nursing homes where they manage business operations and patient care.
Care Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Care Manager job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Creating and updating personalized care plans for patients.
- Collaborating with patients' families, friends and social supports in developing treatment plans.
- Identifying and recruiting high-quality healthcare providers.
- Linking patients to social services programs and entitlements such as transportation assistance and translation services.
- Conducting regular follow-ups with patients to evaluate progress, promote continuity of care and ensure improved health outcomes.
- Maintaining records of case management activities.
- Interacting with healthcare providers to facilitate patients' treatments.
- Ensuring patients’ treatment requirements are met.
- Suggesting alternative treatment plans when patients' services requests do not meet medical necessity criteria.
- Instructing and educating patients on procedures, healthcare provider instructions and referrals.
Care Manager Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Care Manager job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, social work, nursing or a related field.
- Work experience in public health or related field.
- Case management experience.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to travel locally.
- Registered Nurse (RN) license.
- Certified Case Manager (CCM) license preferred.
- Proficient with Healthcare Management Systems and Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Care Manager starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Care Manager job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Care Manager may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Care Manager Job Description