Electrician Interview Questions
Electricians install and maintain electrical power, communications, lighting, and control systems in homes, businesses, and factories. Electricians read blueprints, which are technical diagrams of electrical systems that show the location of circuits, outlets, and other equipment. They use different types of hand and power tools, such as conduit benders, to run and protect wiring. Other commonly used hand and power tools include screwdrivers, wire strippers, drills, and saws.
Many electricians work alone, but sometimes they collaborate with others. For example, experienced electricians may work with building engineers and architects to help design electrical systems for new construction.
Some electricians may also consult with other construction specialists, such as elevator installers and heating and air conditioning workers, to help install or maintain electrical or power systems. At larger companies, electricians are more likely to work as part of a crew; they may direct helpers and apprentices to complete jobs.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Electrician or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Electrician position,
these Electrician interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Electrician Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Electrician interview questions.
- What safety procedures do you follow to protect yourself from electrical accidents?
- What is the difference between a fuse and a breaker?
- There is a problem with a circuit breaker that you installed. What is your process for figuring out what went wrong?
- As an electrician, do you specialize in any particular areas of this field?
- While working on a team project, what would you do to solve a disagreement with a fellow electrician?
- Of the electrical projects you’ve done in the past two years, which ones have been your favorites? Why?
- How many years of experience as an electrician do you have?
- Do you hold any certifications?
- How would you wire a three-way switch?
- Are you able to read a schematic electrical drawing?
- What type of electrical work are you most familiar with?
- If you saw a colleague engaging in unsafe work practices, what would you do?
- What kind of electrical systems are you familiar with?
- What are some safety hazards an electrician can expect on the job?
- How do you handle challenging projects?
- List the three most important skills for electricians to have.
- What are some differences between wiring high-voltage and low-voltage systems?
- Say a company hired you to wire a new 4,000 square foot office building that houses six offices and a server bank. What steps would you take to complete this job?
- What are the different types of wires you might use in a residential electrical job? What types of wires are more common in commercial or industrial electrical work?
- Do you prefer to work on your own or with a team?
- How do you know whether an outlet was grounded properly? What do you do to ground it?
- Walk me through your process of troubleshooting a blackout
- Describe your process for installing electrical panels.
- How can you prevent high-voltage electrical systems from breaking down?
- What would you do if a coworker got an electric shock?
- How often do you perform routine maintenance on electrical systems?
- If you had to install a new system at an entire floor of a building, where would you start?
- If a client asked you to provide a quote for a project, what would you do to gather the necessary information?
- If a master electrician yelled at you for something you had done wrong, what would be your reaction?
- What’s your experience in construction/industrial/commercial setting?
- What did you find most challenging during your apprenticeship?
- What is your process for documenting your work and recording important details about a project?
- What’s your experience troubleshooting a PLC?
- What’s the most necessary piece of PPE (personal protective equipment) for an electrician?
- Are you familiar with the NERC codes and standards?
- What’s overlamping and why is it dangerous?
- When would you use 14/3 instead of 14/2 wires?
- Why would you use a multimeter and how?
- Tell me about a time you managed to motivate an apprentice
- Can you describe how you have utilized technology in your work? Which devices and programs are you familiar with?
- Recall a time you offered excellent customer service as an electrician
- Describe a time you were given incomplete instructions about a project. What did you do?
- When performing tests on electrical systems, what is the first thing you check?
- Tell me about the most challenging task you had to perform as an apprentice
- Have you ever made a mistake on the job? How did you correct it and what did you learn?
- Can you explain the process you follow when you receive a new device to test?
Electrician Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Electrician interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?