Electrician Job Description
Job Descriptions > Engineering > Electrician
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of an Electrician? What are the duties and responsibilities of an Electrician? What does an Electrician do?
Job Description of an Electrician
Electricians install and maintain electrical power, communications, lighting, and control systems in homes, businesses, and factories. Electricians read blueprints, which are technical diagrams of electrical systems that show the location of circuits, outlets, and other equipment. They use different types of hand and power tools, such as conduit benders, to run and protect wiring. Other commonly used hand and power tools include screwdrivers, wire strippers, drills, and saws.
While troubleshooting, electricians also may use ammeters, voltmeters, thermal scanners, and cable testers to find problems and ensure that components are working properly. Many electricians work alone, but sometimes they collaborate with others. For example, experienced electricians may work with building engineers and architects to help design electrical systems for new construction.
Some electricians may also consult with other construction specialists, such as elevator installers and heating and air conditioning workers, to help install or maintain electrical or power systems. At larger companies, electricians are more likely to work as part of a crew; they may direct helpers and apprentices to complete jobs.
Electrician Duties and Responsibilities
Electrician job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Execute plans of electrical wiring for well functioning lighting, intercom and other electrical systems
- Install electrical apparatus, fixtures and equipment for alarm and other systems
- Install safety and distribution components (e.g. switches, resistors, circuit-breaker panels etc.)
- Connect wiring in electrical circuits and networks ensuring compatibility of components
- Prepare and assemble conduits and connect wiring through them
- Prevent breakdown of systems by routinely inspecting and replacing old wiring and insulated cables, cleaning circuits etc.
- Perform effective troubleshooting to identify hazards or malfunctions and repair or substitute damaged units
Electrician Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Electrician job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Diploma in relevant vocational training or successfully completed apprenticeship as an electrician
- Proven experience as an electrician
- Experience in industrial and/or commercial electrical systems
- Demonstrable ability to use electrical and hand tools (e.g. wire strippers, voltmeter etc.) and electrical drawings and blueprints
- Thorough knowledge of safety procedures and legal regulations and guidelines
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving ability
- Excellent physical condition and flexibility to work long shifts and overnight
- Valid license to practice profession
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Electrician starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Electrician job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of an Electrician may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Electrician Job Description