Test Engineer Job Description
Job Descriptions > Engineering > Test Engineer
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Test Engineer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Test Engineer? What does a Test Engineer do?
Job Description of a Test Engineer
Test Engineers are responsible for designing and implementing the tests that ensure the quality and the functionality of a product. They are involved in all phases of the testing program, from designing the test parameters to troubleshooting errors, and writing up final test procedures.
Test Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
Test Engineer job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Meeting with the product design team to determine product testing parameters.
- Writing test plans and creating test cases for the product.
- Conducting quality assurance and designing performance tests using the new testing procedures.
- Troubleshooting any errors and streamlining the testing procedures.
- Writing up the final QA and test procedures for the quality technicians.
- Training the quality assurance staff and providing technical support when needed.
- Ensuring all tests and procedures meet company and industry standards.
- Preparing test reports for management.
Test Engineer Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Test Engineer job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Previous work experience as a Test Engineer.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot and think out of the box.
- High-level technical writing skills.
- Familiarity with testing tools including Apache, Selenium, JMeter, TestStand, and LabVIEW.
- Knowledge of diagramming software including Gliffy, Microsoft Viso, and AutoCAD.
- Extensive knowledge of engineering and testing procedures.
- Good problem-solving skills.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Test Engineer starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Test Engineer job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Test Engineer may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Test Engineer Job Description