Test Engineer Interview Questions
Test Engineers are responsible for designing and implementing the tests that ensure the quality and the functionality of a product. They are involved in all phases of the testing program, from designing the test parameters to troubleshooting errors, and writing up final test procedures.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Test Engineer or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Test Engineer position,
these Test Engineer interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Test Engineer Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Test Engineer interview questions.
- What information do you think is critical in creating and/or developing testing procedures for a product?
- How would you go about designing testing procedures for a product you are not familiar with?
- What troubleshooting systems do you use to finalize your testing procedures?
- How do you stay up to date with product and engineering knowledge?
- How do you ensure that the company staff is correctly trained on the testing protocols and procedures?
- What testing tools have you used?
- How do you distinguish a symptom from a cause in testing?
- Please explain the SDLC methodology.
- Please describe a test strategy that you have found to be most effective.
- What’s your experience with object-oriented programming languages?
- What test cases would you write for a remote desktop feature?
- How do you go about learning a new product?
- How do you stay up-to-date with developing technologies?
- Describe a situation in which you cut corners to save time on testing. What was the result? Would you describe the outcome as positive, or negative?
- Do you prefer a greater or lesser degree of documentation during testing? Please explain your reasoning.
- Please describe a time when a developer disagreed with your test results. Were you able to defend them? What was the result?
- Please describe a time when you successfully collaborated with developers to deploy an application or product.
- Please describe a time when your working methodology conflicted with that of a supervising test engineer. How was the situation resolved?
- Please explain a test strategy you have identified to be most effective.
- What is your work experience with object-focused programming languages?
- What software engineering test cases can you write for any remote desktop feature?
- What experience do you have with emerging corner cases?
- What made you want to do software test engineering?
- What software testing methods are you familiar with?
- How do you differentiate a symptom from a primary cause in testing?
- Do you work in this sector as a perfectionist?
- How well do you meet deadlines and operate under pressure?
- Describe best practices for crafting a test case.
- Explain configuration management.
- Can you name some useful configuration management tools?
- What if a software is a buggy? Can it be tested successfully?
- What are quality control and quality assurance?
- Explain verification for software testing.
- What is the validation process in software testing?
- Outline static testing.
- Can you describe dynamic testing?
- What is involved in black box testing?
- What does a test suit mean?
- What is a test environment?
- In software testing, what are test closure tasks?
- What is a top-down approach?
- Describe the bottom-up approach.
- Outline the difference between system testing and integration testing.
- What is the difference between nonfunctional and functional testing?
- Describe sanity testing.
- What is the difference between sanity testing and smoke testing?
- Describe compatibility testing.
- Define monkey testing.
- Describe usability testing.
- Describe exploratory testing.
- Explain what you mean by confirmation testing and regression.
- What is in installation testing?
- Explain risk-based testing
- What is scalability testing?
Test Engineer Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Test Engineer interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?