Campaigner at Amnesty International
Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Campaigner
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Durations: 2 Years
Type: Fixed Term Contract
No of weekly working hours: 40
Programme: Campaigns and Education
- To develop and implement campaigning strategies, managing, and coordinating actions on human rights concerns by using and developing knowledge on Nigeria and global thematic areas, and supporting and liaising with the International Secretariat, Amnesty International (AI) movement and outside networks to ensure maximum impact.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of overarching campaign strategies to deliver impact, and to support, manage and coordinate actions on human rights concerns in Nigeria and thematic areas aimed at effecting change in the human rights situation;
- To support and liaise with AI membership structures and maintain and develop networks of national and international NGOs and other external partners in the development and implementation of campaigning strategies and plans in Nigeria.
- To write and devise campaigning and other materials for external and internal use, such as reports, annual report entries, public statements, web features, audio-visual materials and government correspondence.
- To research the most effective ways to campaign on human rights concerns and monitor and conduct evaluations of campaigning strategies and plans
- To monitor and analyse political and human rights developments and conduct research as appropriate into human rights contexts and individual cases, including by participating in field research and through contact with partners in Nigeria.
- To communicate AI’s concerns, positions and key messages to AI’s membership, civil society organizations and at other forums, including through lobbying at relevant public forums in relation to campaigning priorities and undertaking other advocacy, and in addition, as appropriate, represent AI in governmental, inter-governmental and various public forums, as well as with the news media and others.
- Analyse the power dynamics within systems that affect campaign outcomes and trends and occurrences in the external environment to improve the effectiveness of AI Nigeria’s campaign strategy and tactics
- Generate engaging and purposeful content for use across diverse channels and inspires a chosen audience to act
- Contribute to the team’s response during a crisis or unexpected work.
- To contribute to the development of sub-regional and region-wide strategies and plans for research and campaigning and provide input into internal discussions on the AI mission, policy, organizational and other issues to increase the effectiveness of AI’s work.
- To represent Amnesty International to external stakeholders and to communicate Amnesty International’s concerns, positions and, where relevant, campaign strategies to external and internal stakeholders.
- Actively represent AI Nigeria in specific campaign projects to external public, media, political and business audiences and events, including approved media content where necessary.
- Provide campaign support for Research projects and facilitate quality control checks on the accuracy of campaign materials and assertions.
- This is not an exhaustive list of duties. The need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties, that are within the employee’s skills and capabilities whenever reasonably instructed.
- Reporting to: Programmes Manager – Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: This post has no line management responsibility. However, the campaigner works with Researcher and other team member, participants in research and campaigning projects, consultants, interns, temporary staff and other participants in campaigning projects.
- Other key relationships: The campaigner works in close collaboration with the researcher, Finance and office manager and other posts in the national office, as well as campaigners in the International Secretariat and in the Amnesty International movement.
Skilld, Attributes and Experience
- A Bachelor's Degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or related disciplines;
- A master’s degree would be an advantage;
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the field of human rights and development
- Ability to motivate and inspire others towards activism for change, including through creative and dynamic approaches to encourage campaigning in the face of obstacles and including an understanding of digital campaigning tools and their appropriate use for target audiences to ensure both online and offline activism and mobilization.
- Ability to represent AI in a variety of forums, particularly with civil society and the AI membership.
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communications and effective functioning within the teams.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc.
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Ability and willingness to undertake personal administrative tasks in accordance with Amnesty International’s guidelines on self-servicing.
- Experience of strategic campaigning, including knowledge of the steps required to devise campaigning strategies and awareness of the need for actions and campaigning techniques to be based on strategies and be adapted to effect changes in each situation.
- Knowledge of the sub-region in general and a specialist knowledge in relation to Nigeria and thematic issues in your brief.
- Ability to understand and express ideas in English and, where applicable, other relevant languages in a fluent, clear, and concise way, both orally and in writing, and to communicate complex information and institutional positions.
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office 365
- Good understanding and use of social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and diplomacy to develop effective strategies to impact Campaigns on human rights in Nigeria.
- Ability to deal in a sensitive and understanding manner with a variety of people, including survivors of human rights violations and others who may be distressed.
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable.
- Ability to multi task with multiple deadlines, manage conflicting demands and work to achieve results;
N1,000,000 / Month.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 2nd October 2023 by 23.59 pm UK time