Head of Stabilization at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Stabilization
Job ID: 28242
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Practice Area - Job Family: Crisis Prevention and Recovery - STABILIZATION, Management
Time Left: 8d 16h 43m
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Resident Representative, the Head of Stabilization is responsible for performing the following functions:
Manage the Stabilization Facility and its timely implementation:
- Leads the project teams and works closely with a wide array of partners to ensure that the projects under stabilization directly respond to the UNDP country programme strategy;
- Supervises the project staff, provides coaching to staff and effective leadership;
- Develops, oversees and monitors work plans and budgets for all activities in the project portfolio;
- Strict and consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations and ensuring the implementation of clear accountability mechanisms;
- Participates in internal control mechanisms for adherence to UNDP rules and regulations in contracts, assets, procurement, recruitment, etc., as required;
- Manages day to day administrative matters for the project with support from administrative staff and the performance of consultants and specialist advisers.
- Ensures timely and adequate reporting against plans, including timely and articulate progress reports;
- Identifies risks and challenges to the ongoing operations of the projects and provides advice to the Resident Representative on mitigation strategies;
- Ensures appropriate levels of visibility and public awareness on results and ongoing activities;
- Ensures the integrity of financial and administrative operations in the project area through financial oversight, under advice of UNDP Operations staff;
Promote UNDP’s mandate and corporate policy and provides senior high-level policy advice on stabilization:
- Promotes early stabilization approaches and provides policy advice to UNDP Senior Management, government counterparts, donors and other partners on issues related to stabilization;
- Thorough analysis of political/social and economic situation of the country/ region and identify strategic areas of support for UNDP in stabilization and its transition to recovery;
- Liaises closely with other UNDP programs and ensure smooth transition of stabilization to longer term development programmes;
- Ensures systematic and effective analysis, project monitoring, including but not limited to regular field visits, as appropriate, and participation in Project Board Steering Committee and Technical Committee;
- Represents UNDP and perform any other tasks as assigned by the Resident Representative.
- Builds solid relationships with key national partners and identifies institutional development and capacity building opportunities and priorities, where relevant;
- Ensures the integration of cross-cutting issues, such as gender, peace building, human rights and resilience into stabilization and post crisis response;
Support partnership building and resource mobilization for UNDP’s Stabilization Programme:
- Ensures sufficient resource mobilization for the project in close consultation with Senior Management and is responsible for reaching the annual resource mobilization targets;
- Advocates for UNDP’s work and represents UNDP with national authorities, the donor community, and international financial institutions, where requested;
- Liaises regularly and forges close linkages with other UN programmes, agencies and entities, as well as other international and national stakeholders concerned with or providing assistance on early recovery or stabilization issues in Nigeria;
- Ensures high-quality and timely reporting to government partners and donors involved in the project;
- Contributes to the harnessing of effective partnerships and competitive selection of partners for implementation of UNDP projects;
- Collaborates effectively in established frameworks for UN and other international coordination.
Ensure knowledge management:
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the project area for organizational sharing and learning as well as external information;
- Actively participates in UNDP knowledge networks and takes advantage of best practices and lessons learned that are available in the region and globally, and encourages project staff to do so by creating a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Uses and promotes the use of the Regional Service Center;
- Promotes the participation of UNDP Nigeria in regional programmes and regional activities related to the project area as appropriate;
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall success of the stabilization programme and reaching CPD outcomes.
- In particular, the key results have impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office through personal example;
- Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally;
- Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates;
- Shows willingness to learn from others.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession;
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Strong IT skills;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/attitudinal change;
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
Management and Leadership:
Required Skills and Experience
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member;
- Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills;
- Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines;
- Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff.
- Remains calm, in control and good humor even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority;
- Master’s degree in Economics, Business or Public Administration, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, or other relevant social science fields.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience of which at least five years in senior programme/project management position;
- Proven experience in Resource Mobilization, preferably also in relationship building with traditional and non-traditional donors;
- Proven track record in programme/project budget preparation, monitoring and report writing;
- Plan and prioritizes work activities to meet organizational goals and organizes and oversees work processes efficiently to achieve quality results;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, as well as experience in the handling of web-based management systems;
- Previous UN Experience - Experience from previous UNDP assignments and/or UN agencies or multilateral banks (World Bank, African/Asian Development Bank, etc.) and bi-lateral aid organizations would be an asset.
- Proven management experience, preferably in UNDP or other UN agency, with sound knowledge of project cycle management;
- Experience in working in crisis or conflict country;
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and/or international work environment.
- Functionally-related professional management skills;
- Fluency in the English both written and oral
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important applicant information
Applicant information about UNDP rosters:
- Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
- Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
31st January, 2020.