Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Helen Keller International Vacancy for a Contract VAS State Program Officer
Helen Keller International Vacancy for a Contract VAS State Program Officer
Jun 3, 2019, 1:16 AM
Helen Keller International (HKI) - Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged persons. We combat the cause and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa (including Nigeria), Asia as well as in the United States. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Contract VAS State Program Officer Location: Cross River and Kano Slot: 1 Per State Duration: 4 months (renewable, based on availability of funding) Vitamin A Supplementation (VAS)
- HKI works closely with the government of Nigeria to ensure high coverage of more than 80% of the target population with vitamin A. HKI also supports the training of health workers, program monitoring, community education and the delivery of vitamin A capsules. In 2001, HKI integrated vitamin A supplementation into Community Directed Treatment with Ivermectin (CDTI) as a cost-effective, sustainable strategy and a strong platform for community mobilization. Vulnerable groups, including children 6-59 months old and post-partum women within 8 weeks of delivery, were targeted.
- However, since 2009, HKI aligned with the Federal Government of Nigeria and adopted the bi-annual Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks (MNCH Weeks) as a high impact strategy to distribute Vitamin A capsules alongside other low-cost interventions that have been proven to be highly effective in reducing mortality rates and improving maternal and child health. HKI Nigeria currently supports the implementation of the MNCH Week in 2 states of the federation (Cross River and Kano) with funding from Nutrition International (formerly, Micronutrient Initiative).
- Under the supervision of the Contract VAS Program officer, the Contract State Officer implements, monitors and evaluate HKI Nigeria’s nutrition programs and projects in accordance with national protocols and policies.
- Liaise with the nutrition unit of the State Ministry of Health (SMOH) or State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDA) to develop costed nutrition strategic work-plans
- Provide technical assistance to and support implementation of bi-annual VAS in Cross River and Kano states through Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks
- Actively participate in key relevant state and LGA-level nutrition technical forums and meetings
- Work closely with State and LGA Nutrition Officers to strengthen micro-planning and technical reporting in accordance with defined reporting schedule and program indicators
- Track program progress using mutually agreed indicators, targets, and recommend remedial action to keep programs on course
- Contribute to and support the maintenance of an updated data base of technical program reports including site visits, monthly reports, quarterly and annual reports
- Participate in research to increase VAS coverage and other nutrition interventions
- Support the capacity building of state and LGA-level nutrition program officers on relevant nutrition interventions
- Support the implementation of other relevant nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive activities at the state and LGA levels.
- Maintain regular communication with other state nutrition program partners
- Facilitate program planning, micro-planning and post-MNCHW review meetings on vitamin A supplementation
- Collaborate with partners to develop /roll out social mobilization strategies and tools to create demand for and increase uptake of nutrition services at community / health facility level
- Perform any other duty as assigned
- Minimum of Master's Degree in Nutrition or Food and Dietetics Or Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition plus a Master's in Public Health or similar related field
- Minimum of 2 years' experience.
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirements
- Ability to analyze and interpret program data using SPSS statistical software is an added advantage
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially.
- Prior experience working in the field of VAS will be an added advantage
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet
- Please note that applications will not be accepted after the closing date and time stated above.
- There are no relocation allowances available for this position
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts