Laboratory Supervisor at Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA)
The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Location: Owo, Ondo
Job Type: Contract
Contract Duration: 3 months
- The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
- In the last years, Nigeria was hit by some of the worst Lassa fever (LF) outbreaks recorded so far. Since 2018, ALIMA has been working with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and the Federal Medical Hospital (FMC) of Owo to help to diagnose Lassa Fever and to take care of infected patients.
- SAFARI is a randomized, controlled, open-label, Phase II clinical trial studying the pharmacokinetics (PK), tolerability and safety of the new antiviral drug favipiravir, alone and in combination with ribavirin, for the treatment of LF.
- The rationale is to determine the optimal dosing regimen for favipiravir, a new treatment candidate for LF.
- Perform clinical laboratory activities according to ALIMA and SAFARI study protocols, security and hygiene measures in order to obtain results to determine the patient’s treatment.
Carry out the project activities related to the laboratory: Under the supervision of the lab manager, he/she will:
- Product Standard biological analysis (haematology, biochemistry) and Lassa RT-qPCR performed in the VHF lab according to the schedule of follow-up visits and that all results are accurate, reliable and communicated to the investigative team.
- Ensure the maintenance of the different analyzers, according to the manufacturer recommendations.
- follow all the training courses offered by the lab manager
- Participate in the set-up of any new instruments in the laboratory
- Collaborate with the logistic team regarding any new improvement for the laboratory (new equipment, power supply) and make sure that all the lab items (PPE, reagents, kits) are ordered on time so that no shortage occurs.
- Production of sample aliquots and of their temporary storage on site; organization of their shipment to a secondary location where the biobank is held according to research team specifications.
- Ensure that good laboratory practices are applied and that bio-safety rules are respected.
- Ensure that Good Clinical Practices (GCP) are applied, in compliance with the study protocol
Other activities/activities outside the laboratory:
- Participate in the organization and conduct of activities directed to FMC Owo general laboratory’s staff, in collaboration with the project coordinator (PC). This could include, among other topics, training to standard biosafety rules, good laboratory practices.
- Participate in all study-related and on-site meetings relevant to the laboratory. Be able to give detailed accounts of all laboratory activity.
- Essential Laboratory Scientist Supervisor Diploma / Degree.
- Minimum of 1-year working experience essential.
- Desirable work experience with international medical NGOs is a plus
- Desirable work experience in a laboratory in a clinical trial, such as therapeutic clinical trials, Phase II clinical trials, pharmacokinetic studies will be appreciated.
- Knowledge of PCR and PCR-related techniques and blood processing is necessary. Working experiences in Ebola or Lassa Fever outbreak or other viral hemorrhagic fevers will be appreciated.
- Mission language desirable and local language essential.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment and stress management.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- The responsibilities mentioned above are not exhaustive and other work can be required according to the needs of the mission.
- Mobility is requested from ALIMA staff, including short term assignments from their usual place of work.
- Part of any ALIMA-employee responsibilities is the attendance of training as per the requirements of the organisation.
- The job description can be modified according to the evolution of the work.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive as it could be amended from time to time according to the needs of the mission
Application Deadline 13th November, 2021.