Legal Counsel at Mastercard Foundation
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Legal Counsel
- Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel (West Africa), the role will be responsible for a providing high quality legal advice and support to key stakeholders within the Foundation’s business across this region.
- This role is also responsible for reviewing and advising on vendor contracts and where relevant, funding contracts, and providing legal support, with a particular emphasis on Africa operations in the region.
- The successful candidate will be based in Nigeria.
Ways You Can Contribute
- Provide legal support on projects, programs and other transactions related to the Foundation’s Africa operations in the West, Central and Northern region.
- Participate in various projects as legal support for the Foundation.
- Proactively identify, analyze and respond to legislative developments affecting the Foundation in the region.
- Provide support in policy discussions and negotiations with officials internally and externally, developing relationships with members of the legal profession and lawyers working in development external law firms and/or partner agencies.
- Champion a values-based compliance culture as our organization evolves.
- Collaborate with Legal and Compliance Team to maintain and upgrade funding documentation.
- Support the continuous improvement of legal processes and procedures.
- In partnership with the business leaders and external partners co-create the design and support the implementation of Compliance programs.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Negotiate and review region-based vendor contracts and communicate feedback appropriately.
- Collaborate with Legal and Compliance team in providing support to country and program teams in review of funding proposals and new program areas.
- Monitor contract and regulatory compliance on program implementation and related risk management issues.
- Ensure contracts are in line with the Foundation policies, procedures and strategic objectives.
Who You Are
- Degree in law (LLB or JD) or another relevant field is required.
- Member in good standing of a Law Society.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a reputable firm or in-house position with a demonstrated record of success in the region.
- Experience in charitable and non-profit law is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in corporate, commercial, and key legal and regulatory considerations relevant to the region.
- Experience working in a start-up or ‘build’ environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills.
- Strong leadership, organizational and analytical skills.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation's values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills and is open and receptive to feedback.
- Must be fluent in English (and French for West, Central, North region).
- Ability to challenge appropriately and voice alternative perspectives and viewpoints.
- Ability to exercise appropriate and sound judgement and discretion in dealing with legal matters.
- Results driven; Motivated by a high sense of performance excellence and a sense of urgency.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial; can formulate and develop new or creative approaches to problems and inspires others on the team to do so as well.
- Professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 26th July, 2022.