Logistics Assistant at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Assistant
Job ID: 210005ZB
Location: Ogoja Field Office, Cross River
Team: Development Programme
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3 - The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The Logistics Assistant is responsible for supporting the management of assets, communications and Warehousing to ensure effective, transparent and accountable Supply Chain support to the Save the Children Programs in Ogoja.
- Liaison with program teams to ensure adequate Supply Chain consideration for coordination and planning of program implementation.
- Provide technical support and guidance to program teams on Supply Chain elements of logistics management.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Supply Chain Coordinator
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability
Warehousing and Inventory Management:
- Acknowledge reception of items in good order and condition
- Count and record the quantity on appropriate documentation
- Cross-check quantities and quality in accordance with delivery documents and planned reception
- Supervise loading and offloading of delivery and distribution trucks
- Enter all data into stock and bin cards
- Update warehouse operation data into the Warehouse management software (TIM)
- Preparation of weekly / monthly consumption report
- Conduct of cyclic counts and inventories in accordance to project schedule
- Planning of the needs and requisition of re-supplies
- Check and maintain Store security measures, e.g. locks, windows, and maintain SCI key management policy.
- Report to the line manager / security responsible in case of problems
- Ensure proper storage of commodities in shelves or pallets not to exceed maximum stack heights
- Ensure organization of the items by type, shipment, FEFO & FIFO.
- Keep clean the store and secure stocks
- Ensure pest control is in place and monitored on a daily basis
- Separate infested stocks from good stock
Transport & Fleet:
- Under the supervision of the Supply chain Coordinator;
- Ensure that SCI and Hired vehicles are checked on a daily basis, and that regular service and maintenance is carried out as per agreed schedule
- Ensure tracking of all vehicles on the fleet, including movement planning and day-to-day allocation
- Ensure vehicles have current and lawful documentation.
- Monitor fuel consumption and submit monthly reports to the Supplychain Coordinator.
- Receive travel requests, and maintain trip schedules and Staff Movement Board.
- Coordinate with incoming and outgoing travelers on pick up an drop times ensuring drivers are briefed of movement plans
- Ensure accommodation is arranged for travelers.
- Maintaining up-to-date control of all assets including tracking donor, value, and location, managing staff issue, and recording all asset movements and disposals
- Establish and maintain a list of contact details for preferred service providers including carpenters, electricians, plumbers, generator servicers and builders and make this list available to staff.
- Report any defective communication equipment or service and check on running costs with Finance to ensure no misuse occurs.
- Ensure the data network (internet) is operational and cost effective. Report any defective IT or office equipment to the Field Team Lead or Abuja IT Department.
- Oversee the issuance and return of assets to/from staff
- Ensure good condition of assets, and maintain asset condition reports.
- Ensure leased properties are in good habitable conditions. Overseeing repairs on these houses, liaising with the caretaker and landlord where necessary.
Communication and Security:
- Ensure adherence to communication protocol at field level.
- Ensure that all communication systems in Field Office are maintained and staff trained in their proper and effective use
- Report all security incidents in writing in a timely manner
- Ensure that all equipment and supplies in Field Office are maintained in a safe and secure manner
Administration & Reports:
- Maintain all Supply Chain files in an organized, accurate and up to date manner; develop shared electronic & manual files to ensure easy access to information.
- Line manage, coordinate, monitor and guide the work of the drivers any other Supply Chain support staff by managing performance on an on-going basis
- Produce weekly warehouse reports
- Update the vehicle cost schedule and produce regular vehicle performance and cost reports and send to capital office once per month.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, code of conduct, fraud, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
- Work in close collaboration with the finance and administration departments to ensure effective operations and strong team spirit
- Consolidation of the weekly movement planner
- Produce Supply Chain site report, stock status report, vehicle and generator cost performance report.
- Update Asset Register and send to capital office every month
- Carry out any other tasks required by the line manager
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education – Bachelor's Degree in Logistics/Procurement, Supply Chain Management ,Business, Health Logistics Related Field
- Communication & Interpersonal Skill Level - Excellent
- Language Requirements – English - Excellent
- Level of IT Expertise Required - Good
- Desired Number of Years Prior Experience in a Similar Role – 2 years
- Experience in humanitarian supply chain management is desirable
- Experience in a relatively insecure field based environment
- Experience in procurement and Supply Chain with INGO, Government or private institution
- Ability and willingness to travel to projects and stay in basic conditions when necessary
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 1st September, 2021.