Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Job Vacancies at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)Job Title: Counsel Educator Code: MT03400 Location: Pulka, Borno Report to: Project Coordinator Report to (functional): Project Coordinator Assistant Contract Duration: 6 Months Renewable Starting Date: 01 March 2020 Level: 5
Job Vacancies at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Feb 21, 2020, 10:40 AM
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Midwife Code: MS03000 Location: Gwoza, Borno Report to: Midwife Supervisor Report to (functional): Midwife Supervisor / Midwife Activity Manager Area: Medical / Paramedical Working Hours: 48 Hours / Week Contract Duration: 6 Months Level: 6
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols , as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc
- Participating in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwifes and the maternity ward supervisor as well as being involved in IPC (Infection prevention Control). Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the new-born, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the new-born and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions; Supervises the use of drugs, perform AMV for post abortion care if needed, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point. 1 BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocics, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and new-born care including neonatal resuscitation. 2 CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (caesarean section, hysterectomy, laparatomy), safe blood transfusion and care to sick and low birth weight new-borns.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive post-abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardised protocols.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse and/or Community Health Workers in the management of Sexual Violence cases
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Essential midwifery qualification or specialization. Desired Bachelor in Midwifery.
- Essential working experience of at least two years in midwife activities related jobs. For OCBA, this is desirable.
- Essential: English and Hausa Desirable: Mandra and Kanuri.
- Results, Teamwork, Flexibility, Commitment, Responsibility.
SalaryJob Title: Nurse - Pool
- NGN 3,949,153 Yearly (Basic salary + 13th Month) As per the MSF salary scale (National contract).
Code: MT03100 Location: Gwoza, Borno Report to: Nurse Team Supervisor Report to (functional) : Nurse Team Supervisor / Nursing Activity Manager Area: Medical & Paramedical Working Hours: 48 hrs / week Contract Duration: 6 Months Level: 5
- Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization . Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written / oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed .
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area / wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Fol-lowing the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his / her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures.
- Essential: Recognized Nurse degree / diploma.
- Registered Nurse Certificate (RN).
- Desirable: Two years minimum in a similar job.
- Experience with MSF or other NGOs will be an asset.
- Essential: English and Hausa
- Preferable: Mandra (If possible Kanuri)
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Service orientation, Commitment, Flexibility, Results, Teamwork.
Salary 3,014,622 NGN (Basic salary + 13th Month) As per the MSF salary scale (National contract).
- Perform basic counseling and/or educational activities to patients, families, communities, following MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve the health condition of the patients, survivors, new arrivals and vulnerable population.
- Actively promote the availability of MSF services
- Carry out, individually or in group, basic counselling and/or educational sessions, to patients, their families, hospital staff and/or the community
- Refer patients when necessary to other specialists or external actors in order to provide the best available support
- Collect and report specific information related to the target group
- Keep files and statistics updated about the counseling and/or educational activities
- Give testimonies to patients and in the community on own experiences as a patient
- Work with the social workers within the camps and community to;
- Attending new arrivals and give direct support within the scope of the project.
- Actively promote the availability of basic psychosocial support, PFA to patients, their families (when needed), in order to alleviate their psychosocial difficulties within the project scope.
- Identify protection concern within the project scope.
- Refer patients to other protection actors, for further assistance, when necessary in order to propose the best support available.
- Keep files and statistics of daily activities and participate in team meetings to share experiences and discuss special cases with the protection team, preserving confidentiality at all times.
- To fill up protection data questionnaires and to held FGD in order to evaluate the living condition of the population within the project scope.
- Inform supervisor of any problem of any kind arising during the day-to-day activities.
- Identify social needs of patients through a social assessment.
- Follow up on all protection cases in the Camps and Host community.
- Report and discuss the cases with the Social Worker and refer to mental health (when needed), hospitals and others facilities and provide services according to needs.
- Remain flexible for any work delegated to you by your supervisor
- Education Formal: Degree in Social Work
- Experience: 1 year experience in related position. Makes part of the target group of patients and is willing to share his own experiences as a patient
- Languages: English, Hausa and Kanuri essential. Mandara is desirable
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy ( word, excel and internet)
- Competencies Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service, computer skills
- NGN 3,014,622 (Annual Basic salary + 13th Month) As per the MSF salary scale (National contract).
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV, Motivation Letter, copies of credentials, copy of NYSC certificate and a copy of Practicing Licence (only PDF or Word) either by email to: email@example.com In the subject please to put the position and the reference for while you are applying. OR In person to MSF SPAIN Gwoza Office, Gwoza LGA, Borno State, in an envelope marked ´Midwife - Gwoza´. Application Deadline 5:00 PM; 28th February, 2020. Note
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts