Nigeria Correspondent at The Associated Press
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
We seek a talented multiformat journalist to cover Nigeria as:
Job Title: Nigeria Correspondent
- Reporting to the West Africa bureau chief, this reporter will work closely with AP colleagues in Nigeria, across Africa and across the globe, aiming to consistently break news and produce distinct, deeply reported enterprise about Nigeria and Africa.
- While primarily a text reporter, this correspondent will be comfortable working in and working with multiple media formats and must be a self-starter who can generate ideas that resonate in Nigeria, elsewhere in Africa and around the world.
- The position may involve occasional travel, and the correspondent should be prepared to do so on short notice as news needs arise, as well as have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a demonstrated history of successful beat reporting, with a record of compelling work on deadline and the production of enterprise that is illuminating and impactful.
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- Have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- Pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
- Work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- Have a broad and deep understanding of current issues in Nigeria and be able to translate that knowledge into producing compelling and distinctive stories.
- This correspondent must have demonstrated excellence as a journalist covering a complex and challenging beat, with a record of delivering exclusive, enlightening and distinctive stories.
- Applicants must be able to quickly shift subject-matter and geographic gears and be able to consistently break news and report enterprise that offers readers and viewers an illuminating look at developing issues in Nigeria and the rest of Africa.
- The successful candidate must be able to work effectively with colleagues and peers in teams and should have at least two years' experience working for daily newspapers, broadcast stations, online or digital news outlets, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in Nigeria will be mandatory.
- Basic proficiency in using an iPhone for photos and video is required. Advanced proficiency is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story lines.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Note: AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws
Application Deadline 12th April, 2021. (11:59 PM EST)