Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Nutrition Officer - Health System Strengthening at Action Against Hunger
Nutrition Officer - Health System Strengthening at Action Against Hunger
Feb 4, 2020, 4:36 PM
Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer - Health System Strengthening Location: Monguno, Borno State Starting date: As Soon As Possible Direct Line Manager: Nutrition and Health Sector Manager
- Mapping of nutrition and health services and gaps in the targeted local governments
- Liaise with Nutrition and Health service delivery team; Community Mobilization teams and keep them updated about the identified gaps on a regular basis at LGA level.
- Liaise with CM Officers for accessing the community care group databases on a regular basis to reflect on the community component of the health system at assigned LGA.
- Conduct periodic and regular health facility observation in assigned LGA to update the health facility matrix tool and communicate with respective program teams; external partners at LGA level.
- Update and maintain 5W/4W mapping (Health, and Nutrition sector) on a regular basis for the assigned LGA, and share with line manager.
- Update stakeholder contact information in targeted local government level for nutrition and health sector on a regular basis and share with line manager.
- Maintain and update health facility matrix for tracking gaps in service provisions, HRH, supplies, technical capacities, information management and availability of policies/guidelines at health facility level for assigned LGA.
- Supporting the development of HSS diagnosis and HSS action plan for the targeted LGAs
- Support N-H Manager to organize workshops and meetings at LGA level in regards to HSS planning, follow up meetings, etc.
- Lead the data collection for health center assessment with the SMoH and ACTION AGAINST HUNGER teams in the assigned LGA
- Support N-H manager in inviting and ensuring participation of respective LGA representatives, INGO representatives during health system diagnosis workshops
- Participate in the HSS diagnosis and programming workshops
- Liaise with logistic, finance, and HR to ensure appropriate communication and planning to carry out workshops, meetings, data collection at the LGA level.
- Develop a presentation on the LGA health governance structure with support from N-H Sector Manager/N-H Project Manager for assigned LGA.
- In close collaboration with Public Health Coordinators/Officers, collect available LGA level health plans, Budgets and share with the line manager or MPM.
- Provide required information to support the development of health facility assessment, community assessment in liaison with the Community Mobilization team.
- Project Management
- Review and update budget planning including HSS related follow up regular activities on a regular basis and share with line manager.
- Maintain close collaboration with public health coordinators/officers and other partners in the assigned LGA
- Support N-H manager in developing HSS timeline by providing plans for assigned LGA
- Support N-H Manager in developing financial forecast in line with the HSS LGA activity plans
- Inform line manager about planning of workshops, training and/or meeting that requires financial advances and/or logistical procurement, etc. at LGA level well in advance.
- Inform transport planning/requirement to line manager for any particular activity at LGA level well in advance using predefined tools.
- Follow up of the HSS action plan with ACTION AGAINST HUNGER teams and external stakeholders working in the targeted LGAs
- Organize periodic meetings and workshop with health workers to update the health facility matrix on the pre-identified indicators (6 building blocks)
- Conduct supervision and monitoring visit to health facilities jointly with LGA/State public health coordinators
- Engage with LGA HIS officers to ensure that DHIS2 reporting from all supported health facilities are completed in time
- Inform the line manager in case if there is a need to engage with any state-level health care department or agency for raising particular challenges at the LGA level.
- Conduct periodic observation visits to health facilities and update the HSS action plan follow up tool
- Conduct periodic consultation workshop/meeting to update the progress at LGA level with ACTION AGAINST HUNGER teams, government, and non-government partners working in the targeted LGAs
- Draft summary report on the progress made at LGA level, challenges and way forward and inform the line manager
- Identify key progress, gaps and challenges with proposed solutions from the monthly follow up visits, health facility matrix updates and inform the line manager
- Closely coordinate with LGA representatives from SMoH and health care agencies responsible for service delivery for the targeted LGAs
- Organize and lead the LGA based monthly coordination meetings and support LGA teams on structuring LGA coordination mechanisms with health workers and partners
- Participate in the relevant cluster meetings and other related forums at the district or governorate level as and when requested by the PM or in absence of PM.
- Ensure that all training databases for health workers, community health workers/volunteers are collected from partners, ACTION AGAINST HUNGER and archived for the particular LGA.
- Liaise with N/H teams and ensure that the health facility matrix, 4W/5W are updated for assigned LGA by the respective teams and archived.
- Ensure that the attendance sheet is used and maintained by the teams for workshops/meetings and refresher training at the LGA level.
- Performance Management
- Contribute to the professional development and improvement of team members by providing support.
- Communicate Action Against Hunger performance standards and expectations to team members which includes;10 minutes monthly conversation, 3 months/end of probation performance appraisal and annual/ end of contract appraisal.
- Establish performance objectives, provide feedback, identify strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Nutrition and Health HoD: technical support – exchange of information, coordination
- Deputy PM – Nutrition & Health; Deputy Nutrition PM – CM: regular collaboration and coordination; exchange of information
- Logistic/HR/Finance Managers: functional collaboration and exchange of information
- N-H DPM: Line manager
- N/H Project Manager: Exchange of information
- Senior MPM/Field Co: exchange of information
- Other sectorial teams; Exchange of information, coordination
- SPHCDA, SMOH at LGA level: lead for HSS process and implementation; direct technical and facilitation support to public health coordinators/officers at LGA level; Close collaboration, training and workshop facilitation support.
- LGA Team/ Health facility team: Training, supportive supervision, exchange of information, coordination.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine / Public Health / Nutrition and / or any other related field
- At least 2 years’ experience in primary health care system;
- Previous supervisory role is required;
- Fluency in spoken and written English language;
- Working knowledge of MS office.
- Ability to manage a wide range of stakeholders for collaboration, coordination, and consultation at the LGA level.
- Work experience in humanitarian settings;
- Experience of working in partnership with or directly with the Ministry of Health is preferable;
- Ability to understand and to interpret the nature of human behavior;
Salary Minimum Basic Salary: NGN 236,585 per month
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply Application Deadline 11th February, 2020. Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts