Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > International / Multinational > Safety and Security Officer Job Vacancy at Helen Keller International (HKI)
Safety and Security Officer Job Vacancy at Helen Keller International (HKI)
Sep 23, 2019, 11:08 PM
Helen Keller International (HKI) - Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged persons. We combat the cause and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa (including Nigeria), Asia as well as in the United States. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Safety and Security Officer Locations: Adamawa, Borno Overall Responsibilities
- The SSO will work closely with HKI Borno Staff and HKI Adamawa staff to facilitate safe access to program locations, including daily monitoring of security situation, conducting regular security risk assessment of HKI program locations and facilities, using and in compliance with HKI’s Safety and Security Policies and Protocols.
- She/He will develop a wide web of relevant contacts of stakeholders to engage with positively to address access challenges, collate and disseminate relevant security information before program activities.
- The SSO will build up the capacity, awareness and preparedness of staff and visitors to deal with security-related risks, threats and incidents through the delivery of high quality, regular safety and security trainings and briefings.
- The SSO will support the Country Director in ensuring staff and visitors understand and follow HKI’s Safety and Security Policies, Protocols and other Standard Operating Procedures, and provide recommendations for improvement when necessary.
- The SSO will act as a liaison between HKI and other external security networks, represent HKI in security forums as directed by supervisor.
- As the HKI-Nigeria HKI Safety and Security Lead, continuously monitor the environment in the operational areas for which HKI-Nigeria is working.
- Accompany program staff on field missions on an as-needed basis to better develop an awareness of the challenges faced by HKI staff in the field. Prepare regular field site reports and submit to the CD.
- Liaise with government, Army, Police, Department of State Service, INSO, local authorities and other key external stakeholders to ensure that HKI staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas.
- Regularly coordinate with peer organization safety staff/focal points to share contextual information.
- Attend relevant external coordination meetings from time to time as requested by the supervisors.
- Organize and conduct trainings on personal safety and security, first-aid, VHF/ satellite phone communication, fire prevention, defensive driving, among others.
- Conduct access assessment to existing and new program location within the area of responsibility and submit report to supervisors, as needed.
- The SSO will be available 24/7 to respond to any staff concerns or incidents that might require urgent attention.
- Conduct mandatory safety and security briefing to all newly recruited staff, and visitors and daily to all field staff before commencement of field activities. He/She will keep track/record of all staff briefed and provide monthly update to supervisors.
- Share information and collaborate on security tasks with other HKI security staff across the organization.
- Prepare and circulate weekly security reports for field offices, highlighting key incidents, risks and other relevant information and analysis.
- Monitor and track HKI and external incidents that have the potential to affect HKI-Nigeria program implementation and security rating (“level”). Maintain incident tracking tool/map.
- Track and monitor HKI staff movement and report any movement breaches to supervisors. Assist program staff in developing movement plans as needed.
- Vet hotels and overnight accommodations for field staff.
- Ensure that the HKI-Nigeria Safety and Security Plan and Visitor Guide and associated documents are kept up to date and reviewed regularly, and staff are constantly kept aware of their contents.
- Supervise and liaise on daily basis with contracted security guards to ensure the guard force is trained and aware of HKI SOPs and are effectively enforcing the required regulations.
- Ensure HKI Incident Reporting Procedures are followed.
- Submitting when required voice, email or SMS immediate advisories to Field staff when significant security incidents occur. This will include updating and testing on a bi-weekly basis the HKI warden and Bulk SMS systems. Ensure that he/she keeps an up to date staff contacts list and reviews/updates it regularly.
- Continuously using different established sources such as UNDSS, UNOCHA, INSO and other independent sources, collate or research security information, produce objective analysis that can be used to make informed decision to the security management plan.
- Bachelor's Degree in Security Management/Disaster Management/Military Science/International Relations/Public Administration or a field related to Humanitarian Work or Risk Management.
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and internet)
- Professional training and certification with recognized Security bodies will be considered.
- 3-5 years of “hands-on” work experience in security management with international NGO operating in the Northeast or other hostile areas.
- In-depth knowledge or work experience in conflict or post-conflict and/or complex emergency environment.
- Previous service or work experience with Nigerian military forces will be a desired advantage. Certificate of discharge will be required as a proof.
- Experience conducting Security Risk Assessment in INGO hostile environment, developing security plans and standard operating procedures
- Competency in using, maintaining and training staff on field-based communications systems (HF, VHF radios and Satellite phones).
- Security incident analysis and report writing skills.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in fast-paced team environments and to be available 24/7 whenever a security incident occurs.
- Training and facilitation skill using different training media.
- Languages: Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri is mandatory
- Strong communication (verbal and writing) skills and interpersonal relationships development skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in security management, advisory, analysis and capacity building role in an international organization setting.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to use mapping software (Google Maps, ArcGIS or other applications).
- Ability to Travelregularly to HKI sites in Borno and Adamawa States and any other locations as may be assigned by supervisors.
- HKI staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the HKI Code of Conduct.
- In accordance with these values, the HKI operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- Please note that applications will not be accepted after the closing date and time stated above.
- There are no relocation allowances available for this position
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts