Maintenance Manager Interview Questions
Maintenance Manager is a professional responsible for coordinating and supervising the work of technical employees during general maintenance and routine upkeep of of the company’s facilities and equipment.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Maintenance Manager or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Maintenance Manager position,
these Maintenance Manager interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Maintenance Manager Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Maintenance Manager interview questions.
- As a maintenance manager, what is your method for determining whether a machine needs repairs or replacement?
- How would you ensure productivity remains high on days when multiple people call out of work?
- As a maintenance manager, how would you resolve an issue between two of your employees?
- Can you tell me about a time you identified a maintenance problem before it became urgent?
- What is your process for planning preventative maintenance schedules?
- How often do you perform preventative maintenance on equipment?
- Have you ever had to choose one maintenance project over another due to budget limitations?
- Do you have experience creating maintenance schedules?
- How often should you replace smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors?
- What’s your process for evaluating and updating maintenance procedures?
- What is an HVAC system?
- Provide an example of a time when you had to troubleshoot a problem with a piece of equipment.
- What types of facilities have you had to oversee maintenance for and what were their specific maintenance needs?
- Describe your experience with using computer-aided design software.
- One of your facility’s tenants complains of plumbing issues in their office suite. You contact the plumbing service, but they can’t schedule an appointment until next week. What do you do?
- How do you handle difficult conversations with employees or contractors?
- In your opinion, what are some examples of seasonal maintenance that every property should consider in this geographic area?
- What previous trade skills can you contribute as the maintenance manager at our facility?
- What is your method for determining whether a machine needs repairs or replacement?
- You receive three calls from tenants at once. The first caller complains of a hornet’s nest near their front entrance. The second caller asks if you can send someone to unclog a drain, and the third caller reports a water leak in the ceiling. How do you prioritize them and why?
- When performing maintenance, do you document? If yes, what is your process for documenting each step?
- What qualities do you look for when hiring maintenance employees? What is your training process like?
- What would you do if you were given a budget but not given enough resources to complete all necessary maintenance tasks?
- How do you structure work schedules to ensure you have enough team members to oversee daily maintenance?
- We want to become more environmentally friendly. What would be your strategy for implementing greener practices within our maintenance department?
- What’s the largest facility you’ve been in charge of as a maintenance manager?
- Which interpersonal skills do you think are important for maintenance managers to have?
Maintenance Manager Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Maintenance Manager interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?