Job Title: Educational Advising Assistant (Trainee Level), FSN-07/FP-07
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- Under the general supervision of the Public Diplomacy Officer
(PDO), the incumbent provides services for all sponsored and
non-sponsored students and scholars seeking information about
educational opportunities in the United States.
- Responsibilities include group and individual counseling
concerning applying to U.S. Institutions, implementing, monitoring
program activities and outreach events.
- Additionally, s/he provides comprehensive, current and unbiased
information, advice, and counselling on educational opportunities in the
Note: All applicants MUST address each selection
criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information
supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- A University degree in Education, Social Science, International
Relations, Public Administration, Language teaching or a related field
- Language proficiency will be tested. Level III (Good working
knowledge) Writing/Speaking/Reading in one local Nigerian Language is
- Knowledge of secondary and post-secondary education in both
United States and Nigeria, including higher education entrance
- Must have good written and oral communication skills, to obtain
information in interviewing situations with clients and to analyze
prospective students’ requirements. The written and oral communication
skills will be tested.
- A minimum of two (2) years of work experience in academic
counseling, public affairs or administrative/government services is
- Level IV (Fluent) Writing/Speaking/Reading in English Language is required.
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and
U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the
candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services
Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within
the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired
into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary
Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent
Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member
Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
Or – Ordinarily Resident – N4,766,721 p.a.(Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-07
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$40, 665 EFM/MOH – US$35,014 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-07
Application Closing Date
22nd December, 2015.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement
number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail
not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word
formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
All Applications should be Submitted to: [email protected]
Note: All not ordinarily resident applicants must have
the required work and residency permits to be eligible for
consideration. a U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in
country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of
mission (com) authority does have to be assigned officially to