Mercy Corps is a global organization, 4,000 strong, powered by the
belief that a better world is possible. We help people survive and get
back on their feet when natural disaster strikes,
economies collapse or
conflict erupts. And where there are chronic threats to peace and
progress, we partner with communities to overcome obstacles and thrive.
Mercy Corps is recruiting for the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Tracking Code: 220076-927
Location: Gombe, Nigeria
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps is a leading global humanitarian agency saving and
improving lives in the world’s toughest places. With a network of
experienced professionals in more than 40 countries, we partner with
local communities to put bold ideas into action to help people recover,
overcome hardship and build better lives now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its
interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict
mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north east of
Nigeria and causing displacement of thousands of individuals, Mercy
Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender
General Position Summary
- With the support from the Operations manager, the Procurement
Officer is responsible for overseeing and implementing procurement for
Mercy Corps in Abuja office.
- The Procurement Officer is responsible will work closely with
program, administration, HR and finance teams in Mercy Corps country
and field offices.
- He/She will be instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
- Mercy Corps has zero tolerance of any corruption or conflict of
interest case and proven record of honest past performance will be
Essential Job Functions
- Daily coordination of MC procurement activities;
- Preparation of procurement paperwork including Purchase request, Request for Quotations, Purchase Order,
- Bid Analysis and Payment Request.
- Clearly understand and apply MC procurement policy. Assist in
advising program and office management on required practices and
procedures; Conduct training to all staff on procurement processes
needed;, as needed in training staff on these policies.
- Assist Program and operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show
consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with
them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Coordinate with the finance department to ensure that payments
to vendors are made on-time and without necessary strain on the
financial systems of MC. Prepare all financial documentation including
GRN, Payment request and ensure receipts are translated as needed.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps procurement activities are legal and moral
- In cooperation with financial management staff, help to ensure
compliance with established financial management rules and procedures
for all Nigeria-based procurement and personnel
- Update the Procurement status and send to all originators every Friday.
- The Procurement and Logistics Officer will conduct
himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as
to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and
materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved
or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with procurement Assistant and with instruction and guidance of Operations Manager.
- Conduct frequent market surveys and maintain a strong knowledge of the local market;
- Conduct internet searches and initiate contact with national suppliers, as needed.
- Provide training to new MC staff on procurement system
- Ensure all Mercy Cops employees are well versed in procurement procedures.
- Ensure procurement ceilings and approval procedures are utilized appropriately.
- Ensure procurement files are maintained in a orderly and
up-to-date system, as per MC standards; this includes dissemination of
ongoing purchase request master list on weekly bases.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s as assigned by supervisor – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Interact with vendors and service providers during collection of
quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will
use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations;
- Other duties as assigned
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual,
Field Asset Management Manual, Fleet Management Policy Guidelines and
the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict
of Interest policy.
Report Directly to:
- Senior Procurement and Logistics Officer
Work directly with:
- Program, Finance and Operations Staff in Abuja
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in operational support functions
with a humanitarian non-governmental organization or international
organization in procurement, administration or logistics.
- Excellent negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational,
prioritization and computer skills in Microsoft office applications
especially MS Excel.
- Demonstrated honesty in work relationships.
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Experience in setting up and managing logistics and procurement management systems.
- Ability to work effectively and transparently with local suppliers and vendors
- Ensure fair competition of all bids and assure that all
procurement staff strictly adhere to Mercy Corps Procurement rules
regarding vendor relations as outlined in MC Field Procurement Manual
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without direct supervision.
- Knowledge of Hausa is an advantage.
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well
as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps
and donor policies and procedures is essential. The ability to interact
effectively with international and national staff members is required. A
demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and
process information in support of changing program activities is
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover
Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Application Deadline 31st December, 2015.