INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Protection Expert
Locations: Maiduguri/Abuja, with frequent field mission on the ground (Ngala LGA), Banki, Monguno and Damasak Borno State, Nigeria
Starting date: ASAP
Duration of contract: 5 months
Reporting to: Project Manager/Head of Mission
Supervision of: 4 protection Officers and 20 field monitors
General Context of the Project
- The internally displaced persons (IDPs) are taking shelter in some relatively safe Local Government Areas (LGAs). The population of Greater Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, has more than doubled; it has gone from 1 million to 2 million. The influx of people displaced from other areas of the state has worsened the situation of overcrowding in already inadequate living conditions.
- This places a huge strain on infrastructure, resources and basic services, as well as on the host communities. There are also great concerns for the LGAs, even though these areas are relatively safe compared to the deplorable shelter conditions faced by IDPs and host communities alike.
- In consideration of this context, INTERSOS is currently implementing programs to provide temporary and emergency shelters for internally displaced populations, Camp Coordination and Management. By doing so, the organization is improving protection and living conditions for IDPs living in host communities in the Ngala, Monguno, Banki and Damasak areas.
- Additionally, since 2015, INTERSOS has been conducting protection monitoring activities in Mayo-Tsanga, Mayo-Sava and Logone Et-Chary in Cameroun, in partnership with UNHCR, and community service interventions in favor of Nigerian refugees and asylum-seekers in the Minawao refugee camp, which hosts 62,328 refugees.
- Through this activity, the INTERSOS Cameroun mission is able to monitor a vast area along the border of the two countries including Waza, Fotokol and Kolofata. In this area, multiple incidents related to the forced return of Nigerian asylum-seekers to Nigeria have been detected and reported.
- The presence of INTERSOS personnel on both sides of the border has allowed the organization to develop an excellent understanding of the local dynamics.
- Supporting the same PoC both in Nigeria and in Cameroun is an added value that helps enhancing the programmatic synergies and the efficiency of communication between the staff from the two missions working at the border.
General Purpose of the Position
- Under the direct supervision of the PM and the overall supervision of the Head of Mission, the Protection expert is responsible for monitoring and supporting at technical level the Protection project activities in Ngala, Banki, Monguno e Damasak, Borno State, Nigeria.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Monitor and supervise of the project staff, ensuring the implementation of protection activities in line with timeframe and quality indicators, as per project document and international standard;
- Monitor and evaluate the activity plan and the implementation of the Protection project activities;
- Produce monthly internal specific report and contribution in the elaboration of mid-term and final report according with Donor rules and regulation;
- Contribution to the start-up and implementation of specific data collection and M&E tools related to the Protection activities;
- Participation to Protection cluster meetings;
- Support the HoM and the PM in the management of specific activities such as the development of new project proposals related to Protection and rapid assessment related to INTERSOS strategy in the country.
- University Degree related to Protection, Human Rights, International Cooperation or other relevant sectors related to the project components;
- At least 5 years of experience abroad in similar role, international cooperation and emergency intervention;
- Previous working experience in project funded by UNHCR and knowledge of the donor procedures;
- Previous experience working in Nigeria is an asset;
- Strong working experience in INGOs;
- Work experience in protection in emergency contexts (refugees/IDPs camps);
- High level of understanding of protection principles and standards, humanitarian principles, International Human Rights Law and International Humanitarian Law, SPHERE standard, Child Protection Minimum Standards and the IASC GBV guidelines;
- Good level in use of MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Skype;
- Good level of English (conversation, reading and writing);
- Flexibility in responding to the continuous change of the humanitarian context and challenges at field level;
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions;
- Capacity in working and living in multi-ethnic and multicultural context and to cope with stress.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV, motivation letter and 2 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “Protection Expert – Nigeria”.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Application Deadline: 16th August, 2017.