Solidarites International For over 35 years, the humanitarian aid organization Solidarités International has been committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Project Manager
Job Number: SRH03224
Location: Maiduguri, Borno, with regular field visits in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba
Contract Type: Short term contract
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 1 year
Solidarites International opened the Nigeria mission over the summer 2016. Starting with a single project, this mission has quickly expanded and SI is now a major WASH and shelter actor in the Borno State. The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in the area and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood.
Programs currently running:
- Multi-sectorial WASH and FSL project funded by EuropeAid over 3 years in consortium leaded by ALIMA – started in January 2018 in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba
- Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA – Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
- Emergency WASH in Health funded by ECHO – in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa.
This mission is young but rather strong and has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the humanitarian needs in the area and to ensure a real humanitarian impact. The team is well staffed with very diverse profiles (former SI, former national staffs from several SI missions, various backgrounds and technicalities). Overall, the atmosphere is very good, people get along well and they love to play volleyball on Sundays.
Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is around 20
- The national staff are approximately 190
- The total budget of the mission is around 7,5 million euros
About the Job
- The Regional Project Manager will work on the multi-sectorial WASH and FSL project funded by EuropeAid over 3 years in consortium with ALIMA
- He/she will cover three different locations: Monguno, Ngala and Askira/Uba. He/she will be under the supervision of the EuropAid Coordinator and the field coordinators of Monguno and Ngala. He/she will be the line manager of five assistants.
- He/she will ensure regular follow up of activities implementation. He/she will ensure that the modality of intervention are being followed. He/she will monitor the quality of the project. He/she will be in charge of managing the team, and to provide support with field coaching and capacity building.
- The Regional Program Manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposal
- He/she is in charge of supervising the operational team allocated to his/her program
- He/she guarantees the proper and smooth implementation of the project
- He/she guarantees to monitor the quality, accountability and impact of the project
The Main Challenges
- Support the strong coordination of program and MEAL team at base level and ensure that lesson learned and recommendation are being followed
- Support close collaboration between E.U team and the other project manager (ECHO, OFDA & NHF) at base level
- Reporting / communication
- Participation in the strategic orientation of the project
- Ensure SI project tools are being properly used (OFU, APU, Quality marker)
- Direct line management of 5 assistants in 3 different bases (Monguno, Ngala and Askria/Uba) including HR management and support of the operational team
- Support the capacity building of the operational team
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Participate in the elaboration of the operational strategy and modality of intervention and proposes adjustment when necessary.
- Review the project management tools in terms of logistic and finance follow-up.
- Propose adequate training and workshop to the team on accountability and community participatory approach
- Close monitoring of the project implementation work plan and field support when necessary
- Finalized the HR recruitment process and review the organigram if necessary
- Close monitoring of the rehabilitation/construction of WatSan infrastructure in health clinic in Askira/Uba and contractors.
- Strong HR management skills required with field experience in delivering training and capacity building;
- Strong knowledge and experience of project cycle management,
- Good analytical skills
- Affinity with multi-sectorial and integrated approach
- Previous experience on early recovery and multi-sectorial project is an asset
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Anticipation and self-organization capacities;
- Great work and stress management capacities;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in related sectors of WASH or FSL
- At least 2 years of field experience as an FSL or WASH project manager
- Experience in tensed context in terms of security;
- Experience in semi-remote management
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required;
- Organizational and analytical skills;
- The Regional Project Manager is based in Monguno and he/she travels frequently to the project sites
- He/she has to respect the security measures in place, like curfew time and visibility restrictions/rules, plus SI mission restrictions
- The environment is highly volatile, so the manager has to adapt him/herself to sudden changes.
SI will offer you
- According to experience, starting from 2420 euros gross per month (2200 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
- +100€/year of humanitarian experience at the same position
- +50€/year of experience at a humanitarian position which has helped to reach the current level
- and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD
- SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
- During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time-off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months
- For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités)
- He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
Social and Medical Cover:
- Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply