Our attention has been drawn to the recruitment activities of Gilberts Group by job seekers who queried our verification process and demanded to know the authenticity of the job we posted for the said company. We thought it necessary to make a disclaimer.
Gilberts Group claims to be a legendary construction company and one of Canada’s largest and most respected engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) companies, executing some of the biggest and most challenging projects in the country, including multi-billion dollar facilities and facility modification projects in Alberta’s oilsands.
Below is a report by an applicant:
I applied for Hydraulic Mechanical Engineer with Gilberts Group on 14/02/2019.They sent me an sms.They are asking me to apply for canada visa with 79Euro Whe i have not even done interview.Is this not a scam? Does jobzilla advertise scam jobs? Below is the message.
Thank you for applying for our open position. We are checking your provided documentation and you will receive a phone call interview from our Human Resources Department in 5 days.
Gilberts Group is currently looking to hire more than 300 foreign employees that will be able to work in Canada.
We also offer employment opportunities that are available in various job positions and careers with competitive salaries and work environment.
Meanwhile, kindly register to the link below to check your Visa Application Eligibility and also for further directives.
I received 2 phone calls from Gilberts group’s HR, for the first call the number was hidden and the other one was from mr Daniel, Via 07019671234 last week. The call lasted for a about 25 to 30 minutes And he asked me real interview questions. He said if I passed they would reply me and before the end of February 2019. I got an email and a call +12892033940 from Gilberts group today the 27th of February 2019 of a job offer,that I have five days to start my visa processing. Below is the email:
Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2019
Gilberts Group Job Offer
We were all very excited to know you and we have been impressed with your background. With reference to your application and subsequent phone interview, we are pleased to offer you employment in Gilberts Group, Ontario, Canada for the position of Hydraulic Mechanical Engineer. This is a full time position, Monday to Friday, 9(Nine) hours daily (30 Min ( 2- breaks) and 40 (Forty) Hours per week. Please note that Gilberts Group is an at-will employer. That means that either you or Gilberts Group are free to end the employment relationship at any time, with notice or cause.
We will be offering you a monthly gross salary of CAD 4890. You will also have medical reimbursement, one year free accomodation (not applicable for family members), health and insurance plan, corporate mobile or travel expenses and 30 days of paid vacation per year.
At starting date, you will be asked to sign a contract that will be valid for a period of three years from the date of joining and is extendable after the completion of three years. This contract can be terminated by either party on given three months’ notice in writing or deduction of salary equivalent to 3 months in lieu of the notice period in probationary period of 2 years. In case of termination of employment by the employer on disciplinary grounds no notice period or compensation in lieu of the notice period is required to be given.
You are required to join the company by 3 months period as soon as you complete your visa processing with Canada Loves You and you have to bear the visa expenses on your own budget.
We would like to have your response by the next 5 business days. In the meantime, please feel free to contact me or my Human Resources Assistant via email email@example.com, should you have any questions. Also keep us updated regarding your Visa Application Process.
We are all looking forward to having you on our team.
Gilberts Group Head HR Manager
Address: Street 271C Luker Street, Mississauga, CA
After thorough analysis, we have come to the following conclusive points:
- It is very suspicious to get a job offer abroad by merely speaking with the interviewer over the phone who gives you an ultimatum to start visa processing through a particular website – canadalovesyou.com
- From the information we have gathered, all communications with them have only been via phone and email. There’s no known Nigerian representative. That’s a red flag.
- The €79 charge for Visa processing seems to be a trap. When asked to pay, an applicant informed them that he already has a Canadian Visa and they immediately ended the call on him.
- The 5-day ultimatum on visa processing is a form of pressure.
- It’s only rational to ask to meet an applicant for proper recognition and documentation before visa processing. Prioritizing payment over everything is a strong indication of fraud.
- A company in a developed country such as Canadian that claims to have been in operation since 1983, executing some of the biggest and most challenging projects in the country, including multi-billion dollar facilities should have had a website before 2019. A quick run of “Whois Gilberts Group” indicates that the website domain was registered on the 25th of January 2019. Even the Canada loves you website is relatively in its infant stage. Fishy huh?
- Their “Employment Letter” contains juicy baits to lure you into parting with your money. Typical of scam mails.
Please be aware that Jobzilla Nigeria in no way endorses Gilberts Group or any of its activities. Consequently, henceforth, we will desist from posting job vacancies from Gilberts Group until further notice.
We urge you to always speak out on your unpleasant experiences with employers. This will help save other unsuspecting applicants from the preying hands of scammers.
Tell us what you know about Gilberts Group in the comments section.