The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Urban Livelihood Manager
Location: Yola, Adamawa
- The Livelihoods Manager will be responsible for the technical implementation coordination, monitoring and evaluation of a Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) livelihoods programme, called “Rescuing Futures that will support young people” in Adamawa State in Northeastern Nigeria.
- Supported by Citi EMEA and the IRC, vulnerable host community members are expected to improved livelihoods opportunities, and use those opportunities to contribute to the development goals of their communities. This will be done through training and community engagement sessions, learning events, and start-up grants to successful programme participants. There will also be a focus on stakeholder engagement to the wider business and humanitarian communities.
- The project will support male and female youth to undertake income generation through self employment. Working through employment and business development service providers, the IRC will support access to job counseling, legal counseling, job referall, life skills, vocational training, on the job training and microenterprise – all coordinated through IRC’s partnerships approach.
- The Urban Livelihoods Manager will be responsible for the day to day implementation and scale up plans for the livelihoods program. S/he will liaise with other technical coordinators within IRC, partners, as relevant interagency coordination structures. The Manager is responsible for overall management of livelihoods staff, providing any and all support necessary to ensure successful implementation of ERD livelihoods programming.
Technical Quality and Program Development:
- Ensures appropriate methodologies and technical approaches are implemented working with the ERD Coordinator to ensure global best practice in programming.
- Works alongside the ERD Coordinator to plan and manage programmatic and structural transitions.
- Support ERD M&E staff to develop relevant monitoring tools and adapt them to the different program methodologies.
- Review and summarize monthly monitoring reports for the ERD Coordinator on the output/impact of the Livelihoods Program
- Follow up on indicator progress and achievement and ensure quality data management for project monitoring
- Support the identification of opportunities and development of market integrated assessment in collaboration with the ERD Coordinator and country program senior management staff.
Proposal Development, Grant Planning & Implementation:
- Supports/participates in the development of all ERD Livelihoods related proposals.
- Responsibility for livelihoods budget management and compliance.
- Contributes to regular donor and internal reporting. Where necessary ensures the IRC submits donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements are produced in quality.
- Works closely and coordinates with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures; including active participation in procurement, supply chain, grant and other meetings.
- Provides direction, capacity building and monitors staff in implementation of their work plans and technical quality of activities
- Analyze budget and attend BVA meetings when requested by the coordinator
Coordination & Representation:
- Develops and maintains effective coordination and long-term relationships with external stakeholders; government line ministries and agencies such as the Ministry of Commerce, Ministry of Youth and Social Development on the implementation of the project
- Actively advances IRC’s connections to livelihood actors at national level, seeking avenues for partnership, collaboration and coordination of activities.
- Participate in ER&L, FSWG and the Cash working group meetings in the project areas.
- Oversees any partnership with the private sector and community CBOs if any during the period of the project.
- Where possible identify new partners (including private sector) to support urban project activities
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: ERD Coordinator
- Position directly Supervises: Livelihoods Officers and Livelihoods Assistants
- Key Internal Contacts: Grants unit; finance, HR and supply chain departments; other sector managers
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Social Science, or related field required.
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience in NGO humanitarian program management, preferably with specific experience in livelihoods and enterprise development.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Project management experience in economic development programming and financial/business skill building, preferably with a focus on youth.
- Strong budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills.
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Experience in youth outreach, relationship building, and partnerships in advancing organizational mission and recognizing opportunities for collaboration.
- Experience managing project team.
- Experience in developing new relationships with private sector partners.
- Strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to quickly assess priorities and effectively manage a variety of activities at a time while paying appropriate attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with donor, project stakeholders, in-country collaborate with d staff at all levels of the organization.
- Fluency in English Language both written and spoken is required and any local language
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- The position will be based in Adamawa, Yobe State. The security situation in Yola is relatively stable with periodic tensions.
- All IRC offices are provided with internet facilities and there is reliable mobile telecommunication network in Yola.
- Competitive Monthly salary
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 12 Months.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Application Deadline: 3rd April, 2019.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!