INTERSOS is an independent, no-profit organization which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world’s poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. The head office in Italy coordinates, supports and monitors the planned activities in the countries of intervention carried out by decentralised offices. The statutory bodies of INTERSOS, are: the Members Assembly, the Council, the Society for Auditing and Certification of Accounts.
Intersos, established in 1992, is recognised by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the European Commission and the principal UN agencies; it is privileged to hold an advisory status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Case Worker
Location: Bama, Dikwa, Ngala, Magumeri and Monguno, Borno
Reporting to: Case Worker Team Leader
Slot: 5 Opening
- The case worker is responsible for assessing women and children’s immediate needs, developing immediate care and treatment goals, and implementing and monitoring women and children clients’ care action plans.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Maintain daily contact with the community based social workers/monitoring Officers to gather information on cases requiring support;
- Provide appropriate and timely case management by creating a climate of trust and care, conduct introduction and first intake assessment, case action planning and implementing the action plan steps, case follow up and case closure as per agreed standards;
- Provide basic emotional support (based on the IASC MHPSS guidelines pyramid) for each case and for their close family members, as required;
- Lead weekly internal case management meetings and make prompt reports/bring to the immediate attention any case of special/emergency needs to the Protection Officer;
- Conduct with the service mapping assessment in the target areas and support the development of referral systems with different service providers and the local NGO/CSO
- Develop good relationships and coordination with service providers and community stakeholders to improve identification and provide adequate referral information;
- Plan and conduct service awareness with the Protection Officer and local NGO/CSO partner;
- Support the Protection Officer to prepare monthly report on activities and conduct site visits to verify and assess activity implementation and the quality of services clients are referred to;
- Identify and report gaps in the availability of services and quality of service provision for clients in the target areas.
- Conduct individual assessments for the provision of material assistance, shelter kit and dignity kit or/and transportation costs for medical treatment, as required;
- Refer clients to appropriate services and when necessary directly accompany them to different service providers;
- Support the local NGO/CSO partner case workers to improve case management in target areas;
Qualifications and Skills
- Previous professional experience in the humanitarian sector.
- Minimum one(1) year work experience with international/national NGOs and/or local authorities in the Nigerian context with the same position
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of Hausa language.
- Strong writing skills
- Commitment to and understanding of INTERSOS’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches Application Process.
- Good spoken and written English and relevant computer skills. Knowledge of Kanuri is an asset.
- Social work or Nursing degree/Diploma or previous experience as a social worker for an NGO
- Strong listening and empathy skills, as well as commitment to supporting women and children survivors/ at risk;.
- Good problem solving and social skills and creative, to think of alternative solutions;
- Stress-resilient to be able to cope with deadlines and complex problems;
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Strong understanding of the situation of protection context in Borno State.
- University degree in Social Sciences or related field
- Previous experience in protection programs
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter (in PDF format) to: [email protected] indicating the object the position for which they apply (example: “Protection Officer”). Please send your CV with the following format “Surname_Position you applied for”.
Note: INTERSOS will not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment. We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted
Application Deadline 5:00pm; 19th April, 2019.