The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Development Officer
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Nigeria, and in coordination with relevant units at the Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office (RO), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for contributing to the design and development ofnew programmes/projects as well as for participating in donor liaison and programme reporting for IOM in Nigeria
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- In close coordination with project managers, review current active projects in terms of stated objectives, outputs and impacts, and current monitoring and evaluation Monitoring and Evaluation(M&E) strategies. Work with project and programme managers to establish a common M&E framework that incorporates regular reporting requirements and impact evaluation strategies.
- Review existing datasets for each project and create or modify user-friendly databases that present data in an appropriate and accessible manner. Train staff in the use of data collection methods.
- In collaboration with project managers, conduct retrospective impact evaluations for beneficiaries assisted through IOM’s programmes to assess subjective and objective impacts of IOM activities.
- Document ongoing project activities through photography and multimedia presentations, in collaboration with the Media and Communications Unit and field staff. Prepare external communication products.
- Pro-actively seek potential funding sources among government and non-government donors, in line with IOM’s overall strategy in the country.
- Liaise with diplomatic missions, national and international institutions, international and non-governmental organizations and other relevant partners and donors to discuss programme and project possibilities, coordinate and promote new activities and raise funds for new projects/ programmes.
- Take part in Results Areas Working Groups as may be assigned by the Chief of Mission
- Monitor compliance with donor regulations and obligations and follow up on meeting objectives within the agreed timeframe and budget; Coordinate contractual negotiations with donors and monitor the Mission’s compliance with the Organization’s related rules and policies.
- Draft regular progress reports in line with IOM and donor formats for submission to donors and the HQs.
- Represent IOM and participate at appropriate levels in seminars and other meetings aimed at developing new projects and programmes and promoting IOM’s image and activities.
- Undertake duty travel relating to liaison with counterparts and new programme development, as required.
- Contribute to the design and development of new programmes/projects in coordination with CoM, Programme Managers (PMs), Headquarters (HQs) Units, relevant IOM Missions, governmental authorities, international and regional institutions and public/private institutions.
- Draft and coordinate concept notes/project documents to share with counterparts and donors, finalize them for internal endorsement with respective Regional Thematic Specialist (RTS)/HQs/ Accounting Division(ACO)/Office of Legal Affairs (LEG) in close cooperation with the Project Managers and all relevant Units.
- Produce internal situation reports for the senior management and visibility materials, such as external situation reports and newsletters.
- Assist the CoM with administrative, financial and management aspects of project development and donor liaison, including preparation of statistical analyses, regular narrative reports, communications, and presentations.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law, Human Rights, International Affairs, Migration Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences;
- Good level of computer literacy, including database applications;
- Ability to supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities;
- Working experience in the region is an asset.
- Experience in liaising with donors, governmental authorities, other national/international
- institutions and Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs);
- Experience in preparing narrative and financial project reports, statements and/or projections;
- Demonstrated knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
- Strong skills in the development of log frames, result matrices and work plans;
- Preferably within the International Humanitarian Field and within the organizations of the UN Common System
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 1st July, 2019.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system.
- The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!